Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Bone spinning vs Bone clashing Reply with quote

What are your preferences in this regard?

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of this. What does it consist of?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
I have not heard of this. What does it consist of?

I wonder myself. Any info in this regards to preface your OP, Alan??

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone clashing implies meeting force with force, that is normal in external martial art blocking techniques.

However bone spinning is when bone meeting bone, an alternative is to pivot on the contact point instead of clashing as in the usual way of blocking an attack.

Many perhaps are uncoucouslly using bone spinning in their techniques without realising it.

By being aware of bone spinning principles, it opens up new alternative ways of defending against stronger opponents.

As bone clashing type blocking the stronger will usually win.

Therefore those that usually out power their opponents will probably have less use for bone spinning attributes.

An abnormality to bone spinning (pivoting) is that for some reason the untrained opponent doesn't react to it (The tactil quality) it is as if the brain has a blind spot and cannot register it happening.

Same is true when sliding over the opponents forarm, as long as the pressure stays the same and the contact point is maintained the brain doesn't react to the strike.

It is as if the brain cannot differentiate the difference between contact and movement as long as contact pressure is constant.

There are martial artists that base their entire MA system around bone spinning concepts, with a little research there are plenty of videos on the subject out there to be found.

Personally I prefer pivoting/spinning as opposed to clashing, as it is very useful to make full use of, not saying clashing isn't usefully as it has its moments, just like deflecting works wonders at the right moment.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bone clashing kind of guy, but I can see the validity in your description of bone spinning.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Bone clashing implies meeting force with force, that is normal in external martial art blocking techniques.

However bone spinning is when bone meeting bone, an alternative is to pivot on the contact point instead of clashing as in the usual way of blocking an attack.

Many perhaps are uncoucouslly using bone spinning in their techniques without realising it.

By being aware of bone spinning principles, it opens up new alternative ways of defending against stronger opponents.

As bone clashing type blocking the stronger will usually win.

Therefore those that usually out power their opponents will probably have less use for bone spinning attributes.

An abnormality to bone spinning (pivoting) is that for some reason the untrained opponent doesn't react to it (The tactil quality) it is as if the brain has a blind spot and cannot register it happening.

Same is true when sliding over the opponents forarm, as long as the pressure stays the same and the contact point is maintained the brain doesn't react to the strike.

It is as if the brain cannot differentiate the difference between contact and movement as long as contact pressure is constant.

There are martial artists that base their entire MA system around bone spinning concepts, with a little research there are plenty of videos on the subject out there to be found.

Personally I prefer pivoting/spinning as opposed to clashing, as it is very useful to make full use of, not saying clashing isn't usefully as it has its moments, just like deflecting works wonders at the right moment.

OK, I just never heard the name Bone spinning vs Bone clashing.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spin/pivot on our toes or heels when kicking as we use a spot on the ground turn from, it keeps the technique stable.

By pivoting on a point of contact with the opponent (as in forearms making contact) it also keeps the technique stable, also as a reference point it gives many options to attack and defend with as reading the pressure to stick with, slide through, deflect, to maintain and match the pressure, reading in an instant the opponent's strengths and weaknesses, in short, information is gathered that can be utilised in an instant as opposed to "clashing" that is a means to an end.

Information that is not gained by clashing forearms, therefore bone spinning has the benefits of obtaining tactile information, similiar to feeling road conditions when driving a car due to the contact of tyres to road.

As in video games tactile information is lost, therefore tactile information in reality is important to have to make quick minor adjustments, as in driving in icy conditions compared to the norm, as keeping the car stable on the road is of great importance.

In none contact or light contact sparring, the bone spinning and bone clashing, the reality of fighting is lost, that turns in to something not much different than virtual fighting, that leads to a false impressions of what combat is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: