Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Book Review : "The Black Belt Blueprint" by Nic Gr Reply with quote

Hi,

I just picked up a copy of 'the Black Belt Blueprint' by Nicolas Gregoriades and thought it might be of interest to some people to write a short review. I know that for myself i often look for reviews of martial arts books etc prior to purchase so i thought it might be useful.

I have a few other bjj books in the house that i would be happy to include a short write up on if anyone is interested

Review

The book is quite short but i think it is a good one. What it most definitely is NOT is a book full of techniques ala Jiu Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro or the Guard series of books by Joe Moreira & Ed Benneville. What it IS is a book covering general concepts for bjj and suggested methods for learning and absorption of techniques.

Personally i think it is best aimed at people with at least a year or two of experience in bjj to get benefits from it.

There is a really nice section covering suggested methods for drilling to retain new technqiues and make them a reflex.

A lot of the information due to the length of the book is quite high level but i think it is enough (personally) to give some ideas of areas to develop in and i think it will likely be quite helpful.

On the negative side there are a number of errors in the book, typos, mislabelled diagrams etc that do takeaway a little from the professionalism of the book. It is quite obvious that it is self published and it could have done with a higher level of proof reading (as an example there is one picture in my copy that shows someone performing an achilles lock to illustrate a point but the accompanying text discusses an armbar). Personally i don't find these errors too bothersome as the meaning of all of the sections is still clear but some people might.

Overall i would recommend it though.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Thanks for the review!

Thanks!

Was the type of thing i thought might be useful for people to start including and thought no reason why i couldn't start it off myself!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very helpful. I'd look forward to reading some other reviews, too!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review!! Whether the MA practitioner has a lot of experience or not, I sincerely believe that we as MAist needs to keep our minds open to the many things outside of their MA core.

Thank you, DarthPenguin.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Excellent review!! Whether the MA practitioner has a lot of experience or not, I sincerely believe that we as MAist needs to keep our minds open to the many things outside of their MA core.

Thank you, DarthPenguin.

Definitely agree.

While i said that i think it is best tailored towards someone with some experience to make the full use of it, the concepts would obviously help everyone.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
This is very helpful. I'd look forward to reading some other reviews, too!

Couple of other books i was meaning to do the same for - feel free to chime in with some reviews too everyone!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Thank you, DarthPenguin.

Definitely agree.

While i said that i think it is best tailored towards someone with some experience to make the full use of it, the concepts would obviously help everyone.

If said book is more geared towards those MAist with some experience, this book can still be a reference whenever said experience is attained or very near so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: