Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bbk2132
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: goju ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Boycotting a sensei? Reply with quote

So, within my organization we have a head instructor for the whole thing and a cheif instructor for the US. We shall call head instructor Mr. Head, and cheid of US instructor Mr. Chief. Mr. Chief is not doing a very good job of running his sector of the organization. He hasn't updated the website in years, he tried to make it so only black belts could be a member of our Org, and he is raising prices of lots of things. So Mr. Head comes to the US for a seminar. He is an amazing Sensei and of course everyone wants to go but Mr. Chief makes it insanely exspensive. This is terrible. It is officially more about the money then the art, and he is profiting off Mr. Head.

So my Sensei has asked that no one got to the seminar because it would support Mr. Chief. We are basically boycotting all of his disicions...but at the same time it feels like we are hurting Mr. Head.

I was just curious of your thoughts on the subject. My dojo is very divided about the whole situation.

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like one of those political things that some KF members and myself find discouraging in MA. If one can get along with another then maybe they should split apart and start their own style. It would not be the first time. It is probably headed there anyhow. As for the students and youself, you will be the onces that suffer. Eventually you may have to make a decision as to where to go and who to follow. Good Luck

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say make your own decisions based off what you want to do to improve yourself. If you want to pay the insane amount, then go for it. If not, then don't.

If there is a higher up you can talk to about the situation, then I would do that, if you think it may help.

Otherwise, it may just be time to get out.

bbk2132
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: goju ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many senseis (including mine) have decided that if things don't change by march they are going to leave the organization. I don't know if they will be making a new one or what but i do know that whatever happens i plan to follow my Sensei.

And we had plans to speak to the highest up to the Head of our organization, who is japanese. But the person who was going to speak to him backed out. No one wants to have to inform him that some of his best students don't want to be part of his organization. It is hard because we are all very loyal to him, but we can't continue on with what is happening here in the US.

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbk2132 wrote:
many senseis (including mine) have decided that if things don't change by march they are going to leave the organization. I don't know if they will be making a new one or what but i do know that whatever happens i plan to follow my Sensei.

And we had plans to speak to the highest up to the Head of our organization, who is japanese. But the person who was going to speak to him backed out. No one wants to have to inform him that some of his best students don't want to be part of his organization. It is hard because we are all very loyal to him, but we can't continue on with what is happening here in the US.

Try to find another person to do the talking, then. If you think that he would listen, then don't let it go by the wayside.

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So people would prefer to leave the Organisation rather than spend some time to chat to the Head and try and sort it out? What will hurt the head more, being told there is a problem or a mass desertation of his Org?

Perhaps, if it is so hard to speak to him, someone should compose a letter and get all the instructors that support the letter to sign it? Solidarity is probably the best way to go. Perhaps no one wants to speak to the Head on their own in case they suddenly find themselves a lone voice in the wilderness?

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to avoid the politics is to move on.

I did and I have been a lot happier since.

I'd do it again.....

NievesOSK
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Oshirokan Karate-Jutsu / Goshin Budo Bujutsu / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a leaky faucet in your bathroom and want to just abandon the house?

Do you really want to continue training with Mr. Head? And Mr. Chief is the problem?

Ever heard the maxim: the pen is mightier than the sword? Put the problems down on paper. Have all black belts that feel the same sign the letter. Hand deliver it to the Head when he arrives. If it means you can't talk to Head unless you attend the seminar, then pony up the cash between the lot of you and have one person do the delivery.

You can decide if you want to CC the Chief or not. Be prepared for political fall out and drama soon after though.

If you truly believe in fixing the problem, then fix the sink and don't worry, be happy.

Hasta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: