Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Brawl: Cincinati vs. Xavier basketball game goes awry Reply with quote

Here is a clip of the fight that happened at the end of the Cincinati vs. Xavier college basketball game the other night. The game was called a few seconds early due to this fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbvdFW5qoQ&feature=related

Here it is. The chaos of combat. Not romanticized in any way. Any thoughts, comments, etc. Lets open this up.

For me, I can see how easy it is to get dropped to the ground. What you don't see in this clip is that the guy that fell to the floor got kicked in the head while he was down there, too. Bad stuff all around.

The post game interviews were somewhat enlightening, as well. I don't necessarily condone what the players said, but it gives an idea of how a person's background effects the way they view violence.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...wow...wow...how sad.

Tempers seemed to boil during the course of this game, to only boil over when one Xavier player came to the aide of a team mate, but shoving the opposing player was not the thing to do. No, if he had only pulled his team mate away from the ensuing argument, the brawl might've not ever started.

One push leads to an avalanche of fists and an bench clearing brawl.

Tempers weren't tempered at all, and this might happen in any competition of pent-up compassion to win.

I suppose I'm only willing to see this type of brawl during a hockey game where a fight or two is expected and wished for as a crash is at a NASCAR event.

Those, who are at fault, will be dealt with by the universities, and rightfully so, by suspensions and sanctions, imho, it's another black eye for the NCCA.

Fight and/or instigate a fight; you'll be ceremoniously dealt with without any ambiguity.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the jurisdiction of the incident is looking at criminal charges stemming from the incident. Which is something that I condone. Wholeheartedly.

I agree with bushidoman that the post game interviews are very enlightening. It goes to the mindset of these individuals. It's a wake up call for everyone training for self defense as well, welcome to the bad guy you'll likely be dealing with. Someone completely comfortable with the use of violence for next to no reason with little if any more compunction about harming another for, again, very little i f any real reason.

Also note, it wasn't above a supposedly educated individual to curb stomp someone while they were on the ground. Suddenly, cross training on the ground doesn't sound so bad, does it?

This was a good video clip to look at, largely for the reality check it provides. Thanks, bushidoman.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Alex. I figured you'd appreciate it.

Another facet you don't see here, is that prior to the game, one player made a comment that a player on the other team probably wouldn't be able to start for his team. I don't recall which was which, but at another point in the game, this comment lead to the crowd chanting against this guy while shooting a free-throw, shouting "Who's Kilpatrick?" (I think that was the name; don't recall for sure, and please correct me if I am wrong).

So, we have several other factors that instigated this boiling over point. Pre-game jibber-jabber, followed by a crowd thowing fuel on the fire, and then culminating in the bruised egos and pride of the affronted individuals ending in suspensions, reprimands from universities, and possible criminal charges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: