Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Bringin my Martial arts dream to life! Feedback appreciated! Reply with quote

So for those who remember me, iv'e created a few post, one was about "full contact shotokan" and the other was about "starting my own martial arts organization"

Well, my vision for new system/style for full contact karate is coming to life!

I've found a couple MA event organizers interested in giving my rule set a shot at their tournaments!

This is very exciting to see my dream come alive!

I found an organization that is also willing to sanction it!

So all the things are in place, to make this happen, but I need some advice:

1) i'm interested instead of having an orginization sanction my system, i'd much rather start my own org to sanction and recognize it! Does anyone have any suggestions, advice for creating and running one?

2)The forum of fighting i'm doing is a mix of PKC karate rules, and Shinken Shobu kyokushing rules. for those who don't know what it is, it's Knockdown karate/kyokushin with face punches allowed. There will allow elbows, with elbow pads, knees to the head, BUT MO THAI CLINCHING or dirty boxing. When I fight goes to the ground, you have 3 seconds to do a follow up technique, but there will be NO striking to a fallen figther, you would pull the technique like in PKC rules. fighters will wear 4oz MMA gloves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye_Cq_cNon0 for an example

3) i'm debating between 2 to 4 divisions:

Open color and open black belt: These would be the full rules fights, seperated by black belt and colored belts.

Novice/light fighting: This version, fighters would wear shin guards and headgear, and maybe no elbows. This is designed for fighters with little to no full contact experience. like for example, you could be a yellow belt in a style, but have 20 MMA fights, or you could be a black belt and have zero full contact fighting experience. These divisions would help make competition fair and would help to prevent sandbaggers.

3) I NEED A NAME! Right now i'm considering the name of this competition "Kumite Unbound" which sums it up. a universal system where fighters are unbound by style, unbound by limitations of rules. I used kumite, instead of Karate because this will be open to TKD fighters and other styles.

4) All fighters will require a physical before the fights, weigh ins are the same day, to as to discourage weight cutting.

5) Fights will be done in a traditional matt or boxing ring. It will be 2, 2 minute rounds, for tournament matches and 3, 2 minute rounds for single fights and tournament championships. There will be NO FIGHTS IN A CAGE!!

I'm open to any suggestions, thoughts, and constructive critisizem. I personally believe this is a good segway for people interested in getting into MMA and getting fight experience, for people who want a full contact test of their karate skills in a format that will allow a full range of techniques that you can't do in kickboxing, muay thai, and kyokushin matches, and as well as not having to worry about grapplng like you would in a MMA match.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking over your rules, it looks like no kicking below the belt, as well. If that's not the case, please let me know. Also, the knees to the head, how will those come about if there can be no clinching? The only way to do it would to be to either get them bent over, or do a flying knee. Just curious on that one.

To sanction your own, you might be required to have some form of insurance coverage, and your own association or some such animal. I'm not sure how you'd go about getting that set up. If you've found someone to sanction it, you might consider that route for now, and try to learn on the go how to get your own sanction going.

Best of luck, and let us know once you get an event going!

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Just looking over your rules, it looks like no kicking below the belt, as well. If that's not the case, please let me know. Also, the knees to the head, how will those come about if there can be no clinching? The only way to do it would to be to either get them bent over, or do a flying knee. Just curious on that one.

I must have wrote something wrong. YOU CAN KICK BELOW THE BELT!!!.

your are correct about the clinching. You can a standiing or jump knee to the head, you can use ONE hand to control an opponents head for 3 seconds and strike to knee, but thats it. there is NO THAI CLINCH

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I must have wrote something wrong. YOU CAN KICK BELOW THE BELT!!!.

your are correct about the clinching. You can a standiing or jump knee to the head, you can use ONE hand to control an opponents head for 3 seconds and strike to knee, but thats it. there is NO THAI CLINCH

Let me be clear, that doesn't mean groin kicks, NO GROIN SHOTS!! But leg kicks are legal.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A name:

Kumitecombate

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
A name:

Kumitecombate

I'm thinking about something like that, or "shin-kumite"

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused, and nobody else seems to be so maybe I am just missing something. You are wanting to create a martial art or just a specific way of sparring. I understood the tournament thing so I am assuming you mean just the sparring. Also, since I did not understand specifically what you meant there, I am a little confused about what type of organization you would be starting as well, again call me naïve Lol.

As for the name, I'd be ok with kumite as long as it's a traditional karate tournament, but if it was for any other type of style I would imagine it would not make much sense as most other systems do not call it kumite.

As for the leg checks I enjoyed it as it is the way I have always sparred. Something I've got very used to doing is sinking in a great leg kick to stay little bit, then I go and fake like I'm going to strike it again after I've caused a little bit of pain and then I go upstairs To the upper body or head. Definitely vote for leg kicks haha.

As for knees to the head I think this is extremely dangerous. If you fold an opponent over and stick up your knee it would be very easy to strike with a great deal of snapping force, and I believe it would be hard to control. The same would be true for the blind me except it will be even more difficult. I cannot even remotely imagine being able to perform a flying me with a great level of safety for my opponent, that's a tough one.

Good luck regardless, i appreciate the people who are willing to push for something different.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
I'm a little confused, and nobody else seems to be so maybe I am just missing something. You are wanting to create a martial art or just a specific way of sparring. I understood the tournament thing so I am assuming you mean just the sparring. Also, since I did not understand specifically what you meant there, I am a little confused about what type of organization you would be starting as well, again call me naïve Lol.

As for the name, I'd be ok with kumite as long as it's a traditional karate tournament, but if it was for any other type of style I would imagine it would not make much sense as most other systems do not call it kumite.

As for the leg checks I enjoyed it as it is the way I have always sparred. Something I've got very used to doing is sinking in a great leg kick to stay little bit, then I go and fake like I'm going to strike it again after I've caused a little bit of pain and then I go upstairs To the upper body or head. Definitely vote for leg kicks haha.

As for knees to the head I think this is extremely dangerous. If you fold an opponent over and stick up your knee it would be very easy to strike with a great deal of snapping force, and I believe it would be hard to control. The same would be true for the blind me except it will be even more difficult. I cannot even remotely imagine being able to perform a flying me with a great level of safety for my opponent, that's a tough one.

Good luck regardless, i appreciate the people who are willing to push for something different.

I'm trying to create a new format of full contact competition for karate, in a rule set that will allow Karateka to be able to use their full arsonal of attacks in a more realistic format than both Kyokushin and Shotokan. Basicly think if Shotokan sparring had leg kicks and elbows and was continuous and full contact.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:

I'm trying to create a new format of full contact competition for karate, in a rule set that will allow Karateka to be able to use their full arsonal of attacks in a more realistic format than both Kyokushin and Shotokan. Basicly think if Shotokan sparring had leg kicks and elbows and was continuous and full contact.

From a competitive sport perspective, don't forget, whatever type you're creating, it'll have to first meet some serious expectations in the area of rules and regulations at some difficult levels of administration whether it be local, city, state, and/or federal before it can be a reality!!

A doable piece of the cake to swallow, but can be quite daunting, to say the least.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: