Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Broadsword benefits? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

So I've been learning Chinese broadsword forms at my dojo. I love them, and I will certainly continue to learn them since I enjoy it so much.

Having said that, I am a bit curious, what is the benefit or learning broadsword? I mean, we obviously train with an un-sharpened sword. Chances are I will never even see a sharpened onem and if I did, I'd keep it as an exhibit piece at my home and out of reach of people.

So what's the benefit? Do you think an un-sharpened sword can be a better weapon than say, a single kali stick or a bo staff?

I mean what's worse, hitting someone with the unsharpened sword or with the sticks? I mean, sword don' even word that way, we train slicing and stabbing motions, not hits.

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice Hema as well as my karate. this is a common question and one that is a good one. I think and this is my opinion but using a weapon be it sword or staff will train the body and mind differently than using just fist and feet. You say i will never use it, but you will even in unarmed. Having learned to use a weapon will make you better understand how to move relaxed as trying to muscle a sword is like running in pudding. this will translate to everything even house work. in a way weapons training is like using a weight vest/bracelets, you have added weight where there was none this will effect how you move and your balance. Finally i think you can translate the sword to a stick, the slashes even with a stick will hurt and a good thrust is a great way to attack.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oshishinobu wrote:
I practice Hema as well as my karate. this is a common question and one that is a good one. I think and this is my opinion but using a weapon be it sword or staff will train the body and mind differently than using just fist and feet. You say i will never use it, but you will even in unarmed. Having learned to use a weapon will make you better understand how to move relaxed as trying to muscle a sword is like running in pudding. this will translate to everything even house work. in a way weapons training is like using a weight vest/bracelets, you have added weight where there was none this will effect how you move and your balance. Finally i think you can translate the sword to a stick, the slashes even with a stick will hurt and a good thrust is a great way to attack.

Thanks

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
Oshishinobu wrote:

Thanks

you got it brother

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing with a Chinese Broadsword can have its benefits but since I have little to no exposure or experience with it I can't give you honest feedback on it.

But when you look at it realistically you wouldn't have it with you everywhere you go.

Arnis/Eskrima Sticks can have more benefits in my eyes because of the different grips and strength to wield it (in say comparison to your Chinese Broadsword).

Both are different sizes and used for different purposes, although Arnis Sticks were a change from the Machetes that the Philipinos used to hack their way through the forests (and used them as a weapon). So in a way they are very similar if you look at it from a certain point of view.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Practicing with a Chinese Broadsword can have its benefits but since I have little to no exposure or experience with it I can't give you honest feedback on it.

But when you look at it realistically you wouldn't have it with you everywhere you go.

Arnis/Eskrima Sticks can have more benefits in my eyes because of the different grips and strength to wield it (in say comparison to your Chinese Broadsword).

Both are different sizes and used for different purposes, although Arnis Sticks were a change from the Machetes that the Philipinos used to hack their way through the forests (and used them as a weapon). So in a way they are very similar if you look at it from a certain point of view.

Ah yes, I love arnis/kali sticks

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well those chinese forms are all just for show,
but originated from real fighting training in times when those kind of weapons were used.
you could sharpen your broadsword to make it more realistic for you.
only modern benefit could be the fun and healthy effect of the movements.

btw did you learn it from an instructor or can you recommend good internetvideos of it? i'd like to try it too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: