Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen it yet, but I will go this weekend.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS BELOW. I'm going to add "(Spoilers)" to the title of my original post so it changes the thread title, as well.

-
-
-
-
-

I saw it. Keep in mind, I don't have a deep allegiance or level of devotion to Bruce Lee, so I just see it as a movie scene. I thought it was fine. It shows a character showing off for a group of people, then Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth character laughs, Lee takes it the wrong way, challenges Booth, they have a fight.

Later it shows Lee training Sharon Tate for a fight scene in a movie, and they are having fun and he seems like a good instructor.

And that's it. I can understand if he was your family or friend, etc. that you might have a deeper connection to it. Totally respect that. I guess if you know him and knew for a fact that he never showed off to anyone in his life, even at his peak, and he never challenged anyone to a fight, then I guess it's an extremely inauthentic portrayal. But beyond that, it's a movie, an alternate telling of particular time in Hollywood when the Mansion murders occurred.

If anyone wants to come up to Hollywood, I'd be happy to show you around some of the locations near our apartment.

Some more about the scene:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-bruce-lee-battle-timeline-1202163929/
https://www.nme.com/news/film/controversial-upon-time-hollywood-bruce-lee-scene-changed-brad-pitt-expressed-concerns-2536867

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the movie and it was awesome!!!! I am a huge Quentin Tarantino fan, so I was looking forward to the movie, and I think this was one of his best. I love the setting, the story, the characters, everything about it!

That being said, I agree with Patrick. I can understand those closely connected to Bruce Lee not liking how he was portrayed in the movie. However, this was a fictional scene where he challenged and fought a fictional character, Cliff Booth. This scene was made to show how tough Cliff Booth was that he could stand up to Bruce Lee.

In the end, Bruce Lee was in the movie for 5 to 10 minutes (out of a 2.5 hour movie). In no way does this tarnish his reputation or legacy.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally broke down and watched this movie. It was, to me, a typical Quentin Tarantino movie, which isn't a bad thing because I enjoy his works quite a lot. I enjoyed this one as well.

When it came to the Bruce Lee scene, I held my breath, more because both Linda and Shannon Lee disapproved of how Bruce was depicted. Having said that, I think Hollywood took their liberties with that scene, as is their right to do so.

I'll leave it at that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: