Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Bruce Lee's Wing Chun Reply with quote

Fancy stuff!? No, simplistic at it's best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxqptNa6-8&feature=related

Your thoughts/comments?

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked great, definitely Wing Chun, but still classic Bruce Lee. He took what he liked from the system, what worked for him, and made it work. He liked the speed of chain punching, but he was also more powerful than your average martial artist. I'm not a huge fan of chain punching, largely because most people that do it aren't powerful enough in that short distance to do major damage. I'm definitely not saying all, because there are people out that who chain punching works for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're the exception not the rule though. Bruce Lee could also perform amazing breaks with a one-inch punch and odds are knock someone unconscious using one. But again, that's not everyone.

The video does show that the simple, basic stuff, is what works best. That is a wonderful lesson to take away.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:
Looked great, definitely Wing Chun, but still classic Bruce Lee. He took what he liked from the system, what worked for him, and made it work. He liked the speed of chain punching, but he was also more powerful than your average martial artist. I'm not a huge fan of chain punching, largely because most people that do it aren't powerful enough in that short distance to do major damage. I'm definitely not saying all, because there are people out that who chain punching works for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're the exception not the rule though. Bruce Lee could also perform amazing breaks with a one-inch punch and odds are knock someone unconscious using one. But again, that's not everyone.

The video does show that the simple, basic stuff, is what works best. That is a wonderful lesson to take away.

Interesting that you say that. Bruce Lee thought the chain punches lacked in power as well. So he modified it into the JKD Blast which is more like boxing punches with the vertical fist. I still prefer the Wing Chun Punches and then like to transition to the heavier punches.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome spin hook kick. Love Bruce Lee footage.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strongest straight blast is called the boxing blast or vitor blitz because vitor belfort (ufc shotokan, bjj, and muay thai fighter) used to use it. jkd concept people excluding burt richardson do not use the boxing straight blast.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight blast or the JKD chain punching, I call it...some very fast and powerful punches. Whatever it's called...IT WORKS, or at least for Bruce Lee.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Straight blast or the JKD chain punching, I call it...some very fast and powerful punches. Whatever it's called...IT WORKS, or at least for Bruce Lee.

Something you may find interesting Bob. I once read a story of Bruce Lee teaching once of his students the straight blast/chain punching. The student was so thrilled and turned to Bruce and said 'WOW This JKD is really something, its so much better than Karate'. Bruces reply 'You really think so? Well I will spar with you just using karate'. So Bruce settled into a traditional Karate stance and the other guy a JKD On Guard Stance. Bruce Lee then proceeded to blast the other guy across the room using the traditional left-right punches of karate. The point being Bruce was trying to make was that nothing is superior just different. When you blast it doesn't make any difference what you hit with just that you are aggressive and force the other guy on the defensive.

Now im not sure if this story is true and I can't remember where I heard it from but it demonstrates my point nicely.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you watch him, it's easy to see why he captured the attention of so many people. He just oozed charisma. Even when he wasn't making sound or fighting, he was just so intense. Add to that his amazing physique and skill.

Simply put, it was really fun to watch him do stuff.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLID POSTS Jay and ps1.

julioh5332
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys.I believe that YIP MAN is an Wing Chun teacher and Bruce Lee became one of his students and I think YIP is the one who teach him that and he just developed it.But theres no doubt that Bruce Lee is very good in Wing Chun and I really admire those legends like YIP MAN and Bruce Lee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: