Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on guys he'd get swallowed by some grappler, if he would have fought in the first 3 UFC's. Nobody knew what to expect, he would have been no different. We glorify him and make these arguments because he's dead. There were and there are better MA's than him then and now. He was just the most famous.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Prodigal Son
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: wing chun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I agree with Treebranch.

All this Brucey-worship has gone too far and he is now considered some kind of martial god. But when you see the beatings that these big powerful UFC guys take and remain standing, I feel that you really must question what would happen to a little squirt like him...

And grappling - even if he did study some - was not really his bag. All the 'spirit' in the world will not save you from a good stranglehold unless you have the skill or strength to escape it, and he would have been up against big, strong guys who are masters of their grappling arts and can take untold punishment.

I'm not an authority on UFC, but how have JKD fighters done in the competition ? Not so well I think - which must mean that Ju Jitsu is generally a better art for fighting in such an arena ?

In Brucey's defence I have heard that he was a really dirty fighter (those that like to win usually are), so a quick Biu Jee to the eyes would take most of the Gracie crew out in the first seconds... Or perhaps his mighty 'inch punch' would have won the day ?

Respect to you all
>>>PS<<<

Stold
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er...Hello? Bruce trained grappling and anti takedowns after some grappler whupped him. I'll try and find the guys name, but I'm sure someone on here knows it.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stold wrote:
Er...Hello? Bruce trained grappling and anti takedowns after some grappler whupped him. I'll try and find the guys name, but I'm sure someone on here knows it.

im sure every fighter after UFC 1 trained "anti-grappling" that dosent always mean alot against someone who has done grappling for 20 years.

granmasterchen
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with treebranch....in the old UFCs he would have gotten hurt

Stold
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, look at Bas Rutten, how many fights did he win without knowing any submissions? All you really need is anti-submission and anti-takedown skills, which bruce trained a lot. Then add impressive striking into the mix.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stold wrote:
Eh, look at Bas Rutten, how many fights did he win without knowing any submissions? All you really need is anti-submission and anti-takedown skills, which bruce trained a lot. Then add impressive striking into the mix.

he got submitted by Ken Shamrock 2 times before he started training submissions.

Royce Choked ken out in 40 seconds...

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the bigger problem with Bruce isn't just his techniques because he could have learned what he needed to compete like everyone else did and is doing.
the problem is going to be his weight, he was barely 135 pounds. that's not good when you are going to face a SKILLED 200+ pounds person.

superfighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, muay tai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Submission fighter has got a good point, Bruce Lee aint the smallest of guys. But compared to most of the UFC fighters he's scrawny, and weight as we know does play a big part in UFC fights. If Bruce Lee was slammed against the cage by a 200 pound guy, i do have allot of doubts on whether he would get out alive. Its not as if he can just shrug him off an ask for more, these guys are big and heavy.

MuayThai Fighter
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: MuayThai,Submission Wrestling,Pankration,Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superfighter wrote:
Submission fighter has got a good point, Bruce Lee aint the smallest of guys. But compared to most of the UFC fighters he's scrawny, and weight as we know does play a big part in UFC fights. If Bruce Lee was slammed against the cage by a 200 pound guy, i do have allot of doubts on whether he would get out alive. Its not as if he can just shrug him off an ask for more, these guys are big and heavy.

I'd have to disagree,his weight would have nothing to do with UFC after all Royce Gracie wasn't exactly that big,infact he was scrawny himself and beat every guy bigger then him in the ring but one I believe.

I think Bruce Lee would have lost because he didn't have close to even half the skills these UFC guys have.

Despite what we have seen of him in movies and what we've heard of him,when it comes down to it Bruce Lee was just an actor who happened to know martial arts.I really doubt he was as good as we have all been made to believe.

Bruce Lee as far as I am concerned was the best martial arts actor,but he was definitely no God and no real great martial artist.

The only reason his style Jeet Kune Do that he created still exists and is well known even after his death is because of his popularity as a martial arts actor.

I am not saying all martial arts actors are like that,but most of them are no more then just actors.Very few of these martial arts actors that you see in movies are really that good in real life too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15
Jump to: