Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Bushido VS Politics VS Betterment!! Reply with quote

Imho, the politics within the martial arts has destroyed the meaning of Bushido across the board. What was once valued, is so easily traded for selfishness. Politics within the martial arts taints the opportunities for any valued betterment.

Your thoughts?

**I wasn't sure if I should put this topic in General Martial Arts or Internal Arts and Philosophy or Martial Arts and Politics, therefore I placed it here: General Martial Arts. Hopefully it'll suffice!**

sojobo
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-ryu Karate-do, Nihon Koryu Budo, Iaido, Kenjutsu, Traditional Jujutsu, Aiki-Jujutsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bushido VS Politics VS Betterment!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Imho, the politics within the martial arts has destroyed the meaning of Bushido across the board. What was once valued, is so easily traded for selfishness. Politics within the martial arts taints the opportunities for any valued betterment.

Your thoughts?

It is said that the seven pleats in ones hakama (two at the back and 5 at the front) represent the seven virtues of the Bushi namely:-

Justice,
Courage,
Benevolence,
Respect,
Sincerity,
Honour and
Loyalty.

I think I know where you are going with this sensei8. There seems to be less and less of this arround these days.

sojobo

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bushido VS Politics VS Betterment!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Your thoughts?

It's sad that you're right. Remember that art always reflects the times in which it exists. I think you could make the same argument about government and society as a whole in today's world.

That said, I can only fix the problem one way. That is to do what's right and expect the same of my family and students. If I am lucky, they will pass it on as well.

honoluludesktop
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Japanese Karate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido exist, perhaps not in a modern dojo, but on the American front line in Afghanistan, the people working on site to repair Japan's nuclear reactors, and those citizens of Arabic countries seeking democracy.

IMO, modern martial arts is more like a treasured antique. Functional, but limited in application, especially in a modern society.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you mean by Bushido? I think I need some clarification on that. The word has been adapted and changed a lot even in Japan.

In the beginning it was just a warrior's code. It was a way to make sure you lived and died by the sword. It did idealize an educated warrior, but being a warrior is what set him apart. Most stories of Bushido are stories of being wreckless in the face of sure defeat, pride, and devotion to one's master.

An example, the story of the 47 Ronin has become a story that represents Bushido to many people. Their master is killed, so they plot to seek revenge over many years. They make sure their plan is successful by waiting. It was criticized by some older samurai of the age, because they showed initial cowardice. They thought too much when they should have simply reacted without caring about the outcome. To them, that would have been true Bushido spirit.

Once Japan hit the Meiji period, it became more of a gentleman's code. Especially once the warrior class was eliminated. It was used by the government to bring more loyalty to the emperor. During WWII it was hijacked to create a fervent devotion to the emperor. The devotion was so great that people were willing to sacrifice everything to save the emperor (thus saving the country, at least ideally).

So, I don't know if we can really talk about Bushido these days. Especially given the context. I will agree though that people have become to selfish and greedy.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics are a poison, no argument here.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bushido VS Politics VS Betterment!! Reply with quote

sojobo wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Your thoughts?

It is said that the seven pleats in ones hakama (two at the back and 5 at the front) represent the seven virtues of the Bushi namely:-

Justice,
Courage,
Benevolence,
Respect,
Sincerity,
Honour and
Loyalty.

I think I know where you are going with this sensei8. There seems to be less and less of this arround these days.

sojobo

Yes...it saddens me a lot!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:
What exactly do you mean by Bushido? I think I need some clarification on that.

I speak mainly of the 7 virtues of Bushido. I see a lot of MAists that do not understand and/or believe in the 7 virtues of Bushido, but those who just don't want to. Again, this saddens me.

KarateGeorge
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shuri-te Karate, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As John Acton once wrote, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the points are lost in so many ways when you cross the political side with the Martial Arts side. You watch Higher Ranks juggle for position with in a large organization much the same way a modern politician would. It is sad when people put their own agenda ahead of the students and the school. What bothers me the most, is the clicks that form with certain schools banding together. Do people really believe that you need to be on the right side of the political fence to receive a high rank? But what happens to the schools that are not on that side of the fence. Students have a hard time competing at various tournaments because of this or that judge. The whole thing just makes me sad.

For those that try to adhere to the code, they are often few and alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: