Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

krunchyfrogg
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorbasan wrote:
if anything, you will lose weight doing MA. over the last year i have been on and off with my MA, and i have found my weight to go up and done too.
Exactly. I gained the weight from stopping the MA after an injury.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke

AT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know everyone is going to hate me and put in their disagreement but i can't help but feel that this is what you folks call a "McDojo". I looked at the pictures section and if you look at the adult black belt test section, the first picture, the first four guys on the left of the picture don't even have their belts tied correctly...and imo if you can't tie your belt correctly when your a black belt, then there's something wrong there.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krunchyfrogg, I've trained in TKD and Karate and find that there are more similaities than differences between the styles.

I picked up TKD very easily and ended up moving through the lower belt ranks much faster than normal because of my Karate experience. I know that that's not what MA is all about (there's more to life than a coloured belt!) but my point is that your training in Karate will help you in TKD.

My Karate dojo is Shotokan-based and my TKD dojang is WTF style.

Why don't you give it a go for a few months, see how you get on? Maybe you could decide to keep training until you pass your first TKD grading and then see what you think to it and re-evaluate it after that point.

Good luck!

Sheffield Steelers!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT wrote:
...i can't help but feel that this is what you folks call a "McDojo"...

They do Karate birthday parties for children, if that isn't a definate sign of a McDojo establishment, then I don't know what is...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
AT wrote:

They do Karate birthday parties for children, if that isn't a definate sign of a McDojo establishment, then I don't know what is...

I don't see why a birthday party would constitute a McDojo. It may constitute genuine sincerity from the instructor.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
AT wrote:

I don't see why a birthday party would constitute a McDojo. It may constitute genuine sincerity from the instructor.
But teaching children karate to entertain them with delusions of becoming a Karate Kid seems like a money making scheme to me. I suppose it would depend on whether the party was a serious introduction to karate to try and get the kids to join up but to me it seems degrading.

Parents can hire clowns, bouncy castles..... and now a sensei to keep their kids happy for a couple of hours. I think its dependant on whether the instructor was seriously hoping for people to join up, but just being hired to play with a group of children and then eat cake in the dojo seems rather "disrespectful" (probably not the best word but I can't think of anything else) to the whole idea of karate or anything other art for that matter.

Last edited by DWx on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Parents can hire clowns, bouncy classes..... and now a sensei to keep their kids happy for a couple of hours. I think its dependant on whether the instructor was seriously hoping for people to join up, but just being hired to play with a group of children and then eat cake in the dojo seems rather "disrespectful" (probably not the best word but I can't think of anything else) to the whole idea of karate or anything other art for that matter.

I wouldn't say that it is disrespectful; just different. If someone is really adamant about teaching a martial art, and is willing to get out there and sell himself to 30 kids in the hopes of gaining 2 good students, then good for him, I think.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:

Parents can hire clowns, bouncy classes..... and now a sensei to keep their kids happy for a couple of hours. I think its dependant on whether the instructor was seriously hoping for people to join up, but just being hired to play with a group of children and then eat cake in the dojo seems rather "disrespectful" (probably not the best word but I can't think of anything else) to the whole idea of karate or anything other art for that matter.

I wouldn't say that it is disrespectful; just different. If someone is really adamant about teaching a martial art, and is willing to get out there and sell himself to 30 kids in the hopes of gaining 2 good students, then good for him, I think.
It is a good recruiting technique if it introduces kids to karate, but I'm still not happy with the idea, for me, martial arts are about more than just entertainment..

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that this place looks a little McDojo-like from their website. Could be just the website, though. As to how the black belts tied their belts, I can't tell from the low fidelity photo how they are tied - perhaps too high on their waists and one too loose?

Best check the dojang out and see if you like it. If you want to lose weight, their kickboxing class might help, even if it's only cardio-kickboxing.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Said
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I know this is an old thread but I just can't help commenting:

bushido_man96 wrote:
By the way, to the original post: I am 5' 7", and 245 lbs. If I can do it, then you can too!

That's exactly my height and weight! LOL

And I've been considering that style, so that's actually really helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: