Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Can boxing gyms strengthen weak wrists? Reply with quote

I have fragile wrists when performing hooks on mitts in Karate training and can't go full out due to the pain it causes, and it feels like they are about to break.

Can a boxing gym, where glove are worn against mitts, strengthen fragile wrists over time?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. There are several other things you can do to help condition your wrists. Two ways you may consider:

Push ups on your knuckles are the easiest. It'll be uncomfortable, at first. Keep trying to do a few every day, and eventually you'll be able to do as many as you like. You should probably be doing this already, and continue to do so, as part of your regular training routine.

A more challenging way would be hitting a heavy bag with properly-wrapped wrists (probably some gloves at first, too.) I'd strongly recommend that you have someone that knows how to wrap their wrists show you how to do it, and inspect your first few attempts. Get some bag gloves for some extra padding, and work on your punches. Exhibit some control at first, as you're still not without risk, even with wraps and gloves. Work your way up to where you can hit the bag with power for several minutes. You can eventually loose the gloves, then the wraps.

Your fists and wrists will toughen up... but it take time. Trying to rush it will cause injury!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Yes. There are several other things you can do to help condition your wrists. Two ways you may consider:

Push ups on your knuckles are the easiest. It'll be uncomfortable, at first. Keep trying to do a few every day, and eventually you'll be able to do as many as you like. You should probably be doing this already, and continue to do so, as part of your regular training routine.

A more challenging way would be hitting a heavy bag with properly-wrapped wrists (probably some gloves at first, too.) I'd strongly recommend that you have someone that knows how to wrap their wrists show you how to do it, and inspect your first few attempts. Get some bag gloves for some extra padding, and work on your punches. Exhibit some control at first, as you're still not without risk, even with wraps and gloves. Work your way up to where you can hit the bag with power for several minutes. You can eventually loose the gloves, then the wraps.

Your fists and wrists will toughen up... but it take time. Trying to rush it will cause injury!

So there's no conditioning for the wrists by hitting heavy bags with gloves on?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand what it is that you're asking. Hitting the bag with gloves (and wraps) early on will definitely help. If something is weak, you need to support it, right? Well, the gloves and wraps provide that support. As you train, your wrists and fists will strengthen, and be able to handle the impact with less and less support over time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having everything correct at the target will strengthen ones wrist.

Wear all of the wraps/gloves/what-have-you aren't helpful at all if everything...or just one thing...is incorrect at the target.

There are many exercises that can help strengthen ones wrist, however, if at the target something is incorrect in its proper execution, you'll know it immediately.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Having everything correct at the target will strengthen ones wrist.

Wear all of the wraps/gloves/what-have-you aren't helpful at all if everything...or just one thing...is incorrect at the target.

There are many exercises that can help strengthen ones wrist, however, if at the target something is incorrect in its proper execution, you'll know it immediately.

^^ This, too!

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand what it is that you're asking. Hitting the bag with gloves (and wraps) early on will definitely help. If something is weak, you need to support it, right? Well, the gloves and wraps provide that support. As you train, your wrists and fists will strengthen, and be able to handle the impact with less and less support over time.

I thought you mean hitting the bag with ONLY wraps

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I thought you mean hitting the bag with ONLY wraps

Eventually, yes... I'd start with gloves + wraps, then remove supports until I'm able to go for a period of time without any gloves, or wraps.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I recommend not hitting anything hard including boxing bags, not until you fully understand proper empty hand striking techniques.

If a person does have weak wrists, then strengthening them up gradually and safely really needs professional advice.

Wrist strengthening techniques isn't so important for those that are using them within their working professions, but for others, working in an office for instance, auxiliary exercises are highly recommended.

All martial art disciplines will have wrist strengthening exercises, that are highly beneficial, so as to do MA techniques properly and safely.

Many Kung Fu and karate systems stress wrist conditioning exercises, well worth investigation; especially: Eagle/Dragon/Tiger Claw, Chin Na, Aikido... all grappling arts.

Just needs to be said; all martial artists benefit from having strong wrists.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Can I recommend not hitting anything hard including boxing bags, not until you fully understand proper empty hand striking techniques.

If a person does have weak wrists, then strengthening them up gradually and safely really needs professional advice.

Wrist strengthening techniques isn't so important for those that are using them within their working professions, but for others, working in an office for instance, auxiliary exercises are highly recommended.

All martial art disciplines will have wrist strengthening exercises, that are highly beneficial, so as to do MA techniques properly and safely.

Many Kung Fu and karate systems stress wrist conditioning exercises, well worth investigation; especially: Eagle/Dragon/Tiger Claw, Chin Na, Aikido... all grappling arts.

Just needs to be said; all martial artists benefit from having strong wrists.

I've trained traditional type Taekwondo for over 3 years.. Not hitting mitts is not an option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: