Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bruce001
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Can I study TKD with a back injury that may prevent kicking? Reply with quote

After a 16 year hiatus, I'm thinking about getting back into TKD. (In between I've spent some time with Shorin-Ryu.) Problem: I'm now in my mid 40s and have a back that seems to respond very negatively to kicking movements.

Anyone else in the same boat, or know someone who is?

I love forms, one step sparring, all that. I'm concerned about ground work and sparring. (Not that I've seen too much ground work. But it's popular these days.)

Thanks!

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only tell you from experience that injuries and tragedy have been blessings in disguise for me.

Think of it like this- it MIGHT be more appropriate to say that your back responds poorly to YOUR kicking movements, rather than kicking movements in general. In order for your initial statement to be true, you would have to have attempting every feasible way of throwing a kick. You very well may have (I dont know) but Im willing to bet you probably havent.

This means you need to "learn" a different way to do the same thing (or accomplish the same task I should say.)

Im not saying it'll be easy, but the injuries and tragedies visited on my life have had a way of improving my game light years beyond what I could have imagined- because it forces you to do something different. Of course its not easy and this is the reason why "normal" people quit. Sometimes the injury heals and sometimes it doesnt, but learning how to adapt and do things differently or achieve the same goal via a different route makes your adaptable, and the ability to adapt is something thats of great imporatance for martial arts...

My two cents

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for asking this obvious question...

What does your doctor say??

Imho, a healthy quality of life is more important than anything, and this includes anything MA related.

I've had some pretty big injuries derived from MA training, and for example, I injured my right knee when I was a teenager, so much so, that I didn't fully follow my doctors instructions to the letter, I was to stay off my feet for 3 months. Did I? Ah...no...not even close. I've paid for that decision ever since. Whenever I execute a roundhouse kick with my right leg, I HAVE to pre-load the supporting foot FIRST, otherwise, I never reach the target as intended. Why? I didn't listen to my doctor. That very muscle memory has stayed with me all of these years, and that is why, for the most part, I'm a lefty kicker in all ranges.

My lower back/neck, as of now, has several pinched nerves in it, and now, my right extremities from the knee and elbow down are tingling and numb 24/7. As of now, it's more of an inconvenience than anything else. Ortho Doctors want to do an Lumbar Steroid Injections, 3 of them, which I'm refusing at this time because it's quite invasive and temporary.

In short, I'm slowly falling apart, but still able to rock and roll on the floor!! But I've been lucky thus far with that, yet, I'd still, if I was you, get concrete advice from your doctor as to if you can or can't as well as what he/she might suggest for long term. The decision is yours!! My decision was mine, and often times, I wish I had payed much more attention to what my doctors have advised me about!!

Good luck, hang in there, and be safe!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be less inclined to ask my doctor what they think, but I would be inclined to ask them if they can look at my back using x-rays, MRIs, etc, to see if they can figure out what the problem is, and see if there is a way to treat it.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So every martial art has requirements BUT it's up to the instructor you train under as to what percentage of these things will be "mandatory" with your injury. I'm not Bruce lee or Chuck Norris but I have always been fairly graceful with kicking. About 7 months ago I hurt my back badly, I typically strain it to the point of not being able to walk for a hair less then a week, I do this every few years. This time it was bad. It wasn't until about a month ago where I could perform my first kick at maybe half speed. I am absolutely terrified to allow myself to really get any "torque" but I'm on my way. I CAN relate.

A problem with kicking would seem to go against TKD as an art, because I can't think of any martial art that would use the mindset of kicks more then TKD. WTF TKD uses even more emphasis, I have studied this myself and to be good at it you will need to use fast, fluid kicks that scare me to think about lol.

I am practicing Tai Chi as of now to try and get my back healthy, because it requires very little fast movements and little torque, TKD would be the last art I picked up at the moment but the important thing is, ONLY do what you can and don't push too hard. Me, I'm an idiot and would so I know better but if you have restraint use it. Also, talk to an instructor and be open. See what they say about what you can get out of training, and testing for rank requirements.

I have a student that is highly inflexible from a genetic issue, I push him to stretch kicks further but he's limited. I don't care, if he can perform a good kick to his limit, even if that's waist height, then great. Good luck to you and please take it slow.

oldbear343
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Wu Shu Ky, Seigokan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I can relate too. I practised ITF style TKD in the 70s/80's, then karate in the 90's and through to 2013. Now I am 62 and have restricted hip mobility and back issues, but I feel drawn to join a TAGB TKD club where I now live. I think I have to accept that rank progression may be limited, butbthatvwon't stop me loving it (as long as I can make it through each lesson!). Good luck but listen to your body....😊

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce001 wrote:
After a 16 year hiatus, I'm thinking about getting back into TKD. (In between I've spent some time with Shorin-Ryu.) Problem: I'm now in my mid 40s and have a back that seems to respond very negatively to kicking movements.

Anyone else in the same boat, or know someone who is?

I love forms, one step sparring, all that. I'm concerned about ground work and sparring. (Not that I've seen too much ground work. But it's popular these days.)

Thanks!

I've had neck and hip issues, and I found that the combination of seeing a chiropractor and a physical therapist has proved to be most productive. My neck issues seem to be gone, and the hip issue almost gone. It's only taken me 3 weeks!

oldbear343 wrote:
Hi, I can relate too. I practised ITF style TKD in the 70s/80's, then karate in the 90's and through to 2013. Now I am 62 and have restricted hip mobility and back issues, but I feel drawn to join a TAGB TKD club where I now live. I think I have to accept that rank progression may be limited, butbthatvwon't stop me loving it (as long as I can make it through each lesson!). Good luck but listen to your body....😊

Hi Oldbear343, and welcome to the forum! Solid advice, here.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce001

Throwing some suggestions your way.

Find out first what exactly is happening to your back when kicking first, before anything else.

To damage yourself isn't going to be much fun, so figure out what your physical issues are.

Perhaps you need to reline your spine and posture, strengthen and lengthening muscles; open up joints and tendons, change your diet to a less inflammatory one.

There are many exercises for kicking purposes, that can help put you back on the right track; if interested I can link them to you, right here?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldbear343 wrote:

Solid post!!

Welcome to KF, oldbear343; glad that you're here!!

Hereandtao
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they wouldn't mind making accommodations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: