Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything in moderation (including moderation). It sounds like you're doing great, Bob! Keep it up, we're all pulling for you!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Everything in moderation (including moderation). It sounds like you're doing great, Bob! Keep it up, we're all pulling for you!

Thanks, Brian!!

My latest gym workout, does it appear to be "Moderation" or the very opposite??

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderation is an art in itself, only a few can say that they have mastered it, and I bet some of them are exaggerating them selves further than they should.

While still on the subject of moderation; without trying to milk this subject dry.

The Chinese have a visual metaphor to describe finding the balance or moderation.

With a pot of water on a stove, if the fire below is generating too much heat, the water, will spill over and put out the fire, if not enough heat the water will not boil, as the water will just evaporate away.

Overstressing the body while exercising is just as bad as not doing enough.

As researchers have found by following Olympic athletes, that they can develop cancer quicker than everyone else, due to over stressing the body. (Sorry can't back up the authenticity on this statement)

Self discipline for martial artists or any type of artist, needs to master moderation; this is why our little yin/yang symbol, is there to remind us, how to make sweet and sour sauce; among other things.

The moderators here on KF.com understand moderation, very certain of that.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to learn what's moderation and what's not moderation, for me. This, I had better learn very soon, and I believe my last workout was on the fence of moderation.

Alan, I do like the Chinese visual metaphor; thanks for that one!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Italians use aldente.

As when cooking pasta to aldente, not over cooked or under done.

Also with cooking, food over or under makes all the difference, to the food.

It applies to everything, as simple as making toast.

Knowing when to stop when making a picture, as with drawing or painting.

As too much of a good thing can also be bad.

As we are all different, parameters differ for all of us, from all of us being human, we can all learn from each other in this respect.

Moderation is not an exact science, it is more of a feeling of being on the right track, going in the right direction, on the right train, at the right time, within one's own boundaries.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it looked like more cardio than I would be willing to do, but I never liked cardio, either. If you don't feel totally fried after the workouts, though, then I'd say you are probably on par with being in moderation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
The Italians use aldente.

As when cooking pasta to aldente, not over cooked or under done.

Also with cooking, food over or under makes all the difference, to the food.

It applies to everything, as simple as making toast.

Knowing when to stop when making a picture, as with drawing or painting.

As too much of a good thing can also be bad.

As we are all different, parameters differ for all of us, from all of us being human, we can all learn from each other in this respect.

Moderation is not an exact science, it is more of a feeling of being on the right track, going in the right direction, on the right train, at the right time, within one's own boundaries.

bushido_man96 wrote:
To me, it looked like more cardio than I would be willing to do, but I never liked cardio, either. If you don't feel totally fried after the workouts, though, then I'd say you are probably on par with being in moderation.

I can appreciate what you're both saying, wholeheartedly, Alan and Brian!! Thanks!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderation is something that only you can define. Moderation to me will differ from what you would call moderation. This is because you know your body best. You will know when your body is at that point where you are teetering on over exertion.

No one but you can answer this because you have your own pain tolerances, conditioning and understand when your body is telling you enough is enough. The trick is to listen to it and not push past that point.

I was told the same thing when my knee was blown out and rebuilt. Unlike what I am telling you I didn't listen to my body and as a result it took me twice as long to recover and get back to some semblance of where I was before my accident. Having said that, it's not that I didn't know when to stop, I just thought I knew better than my doctor and did not want to accept the time frame he had given me for recovery. So instead of 6 months it took me a year. That's what being hard headed and not listening to your doctor will get you.

Bottom line is your body will tell you when something is too much, you just have to listen to it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Moderation is something that only you can define. Moderation to me will differ from what you would call moderation. This is because you know your body best. You will know when your body is at that point where you are teetering on over exertion.

No one but you can answer this because you have your own pain tolerances, conditioning and understand when your body is telling you enough is enough. The trick is to listen to it and not push past that point.

I was told the same thing when my knee was blown out and rebuilt. Unlike what I am telling you I didn't listen to my body and as a result it took me twice as long to recover and get back to some semblance of where I was before my accident. Having said that, it's not that I didn't know when to stop, I just thought I knew better than my doctor and did not want to accept the time frame he had given me for recovery. So instead of 6 months it took me a year. That's what being hard headed and not listening to your doctor will get you.

Bottom line is your body will tell you when something is too much, you just have to listen to it.

Solid post!!

I've always pushed myself much more than I should, but having that within me has benefited me throughout my entire MA journey, as I believe that you have done the same thing...you and I...we earned everything from our Sensei's wholeheartedly!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed but because I have trouble gearing down it cost me a year with little training/teaching and another year to get to 90% vs. 100%. I'm still not 100%.
This is why I said to listen to your body. I heard it loud and clear but chose to ignore it thinking I was still a young man and could heal as fast. I should have listened. It would have saved me at minimum 6 mths and I might have been back to 100%.

Don't do what I did. Listen and stop when your body says enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: