Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vlearns12
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Can't do rolls? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've been doing Shotokan karate for a while, but I never seemed to be able to get the hang of doing forward rolls for some reason. I'm pretty sure I have some kind of mental block, especially when it comes to kicking my feet over, since my body just kind of..stops. Does anyone have any advice?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say without seeing exactly where you're freezing up at. My suggestion would be to just relax and do it. The reason most people who are physically capable of doing backflips can't is mental. You just have to take a deep breath and go for it.

The way you describe your roll is odd to me. When I do a roll, my momentum forces my feet over. I have no choice but to finish if my body is already in motion. From your description, I would definitely suggest relaxing and letting the motion carry through.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I was taught in Judo was the look at the wall in front of you when you roll. Imagine kicking that wall with your feet as you roll over. That'll get your legs straight over you (instead of falling to either side of your head) and will give you enough power to get all the way around.

You can't half ask it. You need to commit and commit fully. It really is a mental thing.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it in a swimming pool first, also are you doing it on mats??? Get some assistance to "tip" you over that last part of the movement.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming pool is a good suggestion. On land make sure to learn by starting from a crouched position lower to the ground before trying to do it from standing. Also if you can, its easier to learn when you have a slight decline slope to help you with the momentum.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rolling is probably one of the hardest things to teach. It's not like a student can do it in slow motion and/or stop, correct themself and then continue on.

Rolling is also one of those things like riding a bike. I hadn't rolled in years, then my CI had us do it in class about a month ago. Came back to me almost instantly. He had me try to explain it to others who weren't getting it, hoping I could provide some insight or cues that he wasn't getting across, but I had nothing. The more I thought about it, the harder it was to roll properly. It's one of those things I just do without thinking about it. Years of wrestling. We rolled up and down the mats - forward, backward, dive rolls, backward into a handstand push off, and a few more I can't recall every single day during warmups.

To summarize, and maybe it'll hurt more than help, but don't try to over think it. Head down, arm down, go over your shoulder, and let your momentum carry you. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Edit: As stupid as it sounds, it's a lot like a cartwheel. Fall into it and let your momentum take you completely over.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward rolls are always difficult at first because it is human nature to freeze up when falling forwards.

Has your sensei gotten you to start from a crouching position and go from there first? Often there are Sensei's that get you to do them from a standing start first.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting from kneeling is also good-- even before a crouch. Start on one knee with the other foot on the floor. You can also start with your hands already in position on the ground. Kneeling gets you starting lower and already mostly in position. It also gives you less momentum, so it forces you to really kick off the floor to practice committing to it.

Here's what I'm talking out-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87cMJ2PqlBw It's the first and last roll they do.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting from kneeling is always a good start. In regards to the fall imagine you're going in a straight line (going forward) but you obviously dont want to smack your head/face on the ground. The solution? Look to the shoulder (the one you're NOT rolling over) and tuck your chin. Now instead of going directly over your head and spine, you'll find that you've simply moved your head out of the way of the fall.

Thats probably the most important part of learning how to fall (protect your head and neck). Most everything else will fall in line once you start to do that.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask an experienced Aikido student to show you how to roll properly.

1) Practice on a martial art mat.

2) Always tuck your chin/head in.

3) Go slowly but continually smoothly.

4) Roll across your spine and never along it. For example: The right way is from your right shoulder to your left hip.

5) Always keep constant contact with the mat as you roll. Hand connects first, then across your forearm too shoulder to back, (diagonally across back too hip) too thigh too feet.

I remember seeing Brad Pitt in the movie "Mr and Mrs Jones" diving over some shrubs, late at night. He dived over the shrubs landing and rolling along his spine. If it was him or his double doing the diving it was very bad form. Could have caused himself some bad back and neck pain from rolling this way. It was supposed to look humorous, just didn't see the humor in it done incorrectly!

Tumblers can roll along their spine, but they have years of training and practice doing it this way, with developed muscles to protect the spine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: