Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,
I have been looking for an answer to a question on the internet and I just cannot seem to find one.

Is it better to eat while excercising than eat when not?

Somebody at school asked me and I am curious myself.

If anyone can answer this question for me I will be very gratefull.

Dankershern Bitter!
(means Thankyou very much in German)

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Moobrack...All I can picture in my mind right now is seeing someone with a big cheeseburger in one hand and pumping iron with the other!
I think what you're asking is whether to eat before or after you work out and pssibly what are the guidlines....which is better?
Most people will feel dizzy, nauseated and/or exhausted while exercising on an empty stomach. This is due to low blood sugar levels, especially first thing in the morning. To counteract this, eat a snack (not a meal) before your workout regardless of the time of day. Some examples of appropriate snacks would be a slice of bread with peanut butter or a cup of lowfat yogurt.

It is a myth that "a lot of fat burning" takes place during the hour immediately following a workout. There IS a slight increase in metabolism but only enough to burn an extra 10-20 calories in that post-exercise hour. The most important thing is the total number of calories ... not the percentage of fat ... you burn during a workout.
If you eat before exercising, make sure you allow your body some time to digest and absorb the food. During digestion, our bodies send blood to the stomach to help out with this process. When we exercise, our muscles need the blood flow, so our stomach becomes a second class citizen and digestion is slowed. If too much food is in the stomach while we're exercising, most likely we won't be too comfortable. Also take into account the type of food you consume and the activities you perform. Some people tolerate liquids more easily because they leave the stomach quicker than solid food. However, some exercisers, such as runners, don't like the internal "sloshing" around that liquids may cause.

The general guidelines for eating before exercising are:

Three or four hours before exercising, a large meal is fine (600 calories or more)
Two or three hours beforehand, a smaller meal is suitable (400 - 500 calories)
One or two hours before, a liquid meal is appropriate (300 - 400 calories)
With less than one hour, a small snack will do. (200 - 300 calories)

In addition, people tolerate foods differently, and the composition of the food matters. Fats stay in the stomach longest, followed by protein and high fiber carbohydrate, then low fiber complex carbohydrates, and finally simple sugars, which are absorbed fastest. Avoid sugary foods, including juice, an hour before exercise. Bodies absorb the sugar in these foods quickly, and you may feel lightheaded and tired during your exercise as a result. If you feel you absolutely must have juice or some sugary snack before exercise, have it only five or ten minutes before you begin. This way, there isn't enough time for your body to secrete insulin, a hormone which lowers blood sugar and can cause fatiguing symptoms. Since everyone reacts a little differently, try various strategies to determine what helps you the most. No matter what, drink water before, during, and after exercise. And, have breakfast afterwards, especially if you haven't had anything to eat earlier, since this will replace glycogen stores and keep you going all morning long.

I do believe it's lunch time now....
Hope this answers your question !
Deby

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a brilliant response, as ever, KickChick.

My running instructor tells me that eating protein after exercising is far more important than if and what you eat before...but it's common sense not to eat a huge meal 20 minutes before running a marathon.

The best way to get maximum energy but minimum sluggishness/sickly feeling etc...before working out is to eat a small meal made from complex carbohydrates an hour to an hour-and-a-half before starting the workout.

Water and energy drinks during the workout are essential to replace lost fluid and prevent the body burning muscle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks babysteffee...!
I'm always trying to watch what I eat ...(it's not that I'm fat or anything by no means) but you know us girls! anyway,
before I began teaching this high intensity kickboxing class I was on the Atkins diet...(yeah real stupid!) In case you're not aware of it...this is the one where carbs are restricted. Well to tell an Italian she can't eat pasta is bad enuff!...I was a miserable "SOB" to say the least (not very good for your mood swings!) and as far as working out....I nearly passed oout on several occassions.
So duh!!!! You live and learn and truly smarten up...(at least one hopes to when they follow these fad diets) I just thought maybe I could lose the extra "wigglies" by burning more fat on this particular diet. If you train hard you need carbs!
I eat a light breakfast/ big lunch and a very small serving of complex carb before workout in evening and it truly sustains me ....I come home and that is it...nothing until next morning!
Deby

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-09-27 07:38 ]

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, that diet is weird...my Aunt is on that diet (she's 37 years old) and she looks so ill...I keep telling her that she needs carbs to survive and she's like "oh no, this book says..."

I don't have time for breakfast, barely have anything for lunch, then have a late dinner and snacks all night...I know it's gonna catch up with me sooner or later so I'm trying to change now.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys,not quite answered my question but gave me a much better understanding of timetabled eating.Cheers.

C Ya!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Moobrack....then what did you mean exactly?? Maybe if you rephrase the question
Sounds to me like you want to eat while you are exercising....just seems a bit messy to me
Deby

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol KickChick.
Yeah sorry Moobrack...what did you mean? Like eating WHILE (as in the precise moment of) exercising...hmmm, can't see how you could concentrate on doing both things at once.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats what I meant.Is it better to eat while you are excercising,(at the same time as excercising)!
Thanx!

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answers here are very good......i'm glad to see youv'e done your homework ladies, KICKCHICK/BABYSWEETIE.

my question to MOOBRACK is; do you keep your napkin under your chin or in your lap during your workouts?.........j/k (lol)

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-09-28 05:08 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: