Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Can you appeal to the Kukkiwon? Reply with quote

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I achieved black belt rank in WTF in the mid 90's in Nevada, while I was in the Air Force. When I was discharged, the AF lost some items shipping them to my home, chiefly among them my black belt certificate.

Now, come to find out that Kukkiwon has no record of me. (I finally went to get it re-issued, as I'm starting to do some clinics and it would be nice to list it on the resume.) All that I currently have is my green belt certificates and a couple medals from the state championship event that year.

Is there a way to appeal this to the Kukkiwon that my instructor (Who I cannot track down) never registered me? Or am I just out of luck as far as the official recognition of rank goes?

John

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you should be able to appeal directly to any governing body, including Kukkiwon. It would be worth the effort on your part. However, the decision will be up to the Kukkiwon.

Good luck!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this matters or not, but check with the WTF. I believe they are separate entities. See if the WTF has something on file, and then get with the Kukkiwon.

I could be wrong here, though.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, if the KKW has no record of you, it, most likely, means that your instructor never sent in the paperwork for you. It's a very common problem for many people.

There are people like this gentleman, http://www.isamartialarts.net/Kukkiwon_page.html
who can get you the KKW rank that you seek. You'd have to talk with him about the details, but the website spells out what he does. I'm not affiliated with him in any way. Sadly, it is an all too common problem for for Kukki-Taekwondo students to find out (even years later) that their master never sent in the paperwork into the Kukkiwon for their certificates.

I wish you the best in your desire to get the certificates you want.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks Aodhan

Simplest way might just be to retest

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Sucks Aodhan

Aodan, in my 30+ years in Taekwondo I have to agree with DWx here. Retesting at a new dojang is the simplest way to get that certificate. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but you are not alone. Perhaps a new dojang under a master whom you trust might rekindle your love of Taekwondo. You might find it to be a wonderful experience.

All my best to you in your journey.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
DWx wrote:
Sucks Aodhan

Aodan, in my 30+ years in Taekwondo I have to agree with DWx here. Retesting at a new dojang is the simplest way to get that certificate. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but you are not alone. Perhaps a new dojang under a master whom you trust might rekindle your love of Taekwondo. You might find it to be a wonderful experience.

All my best to you in your journey.

I have not lost my love for Taekwondo. I am currently a 4th degree certified instructor with the ATA. I would have liked to have had the certificate for historical purposes, as it was something that I earned.

Retesting, while an option, would be a large pain at this point as it has been many many years since I was in a WTF school and I don't remember the forms.

I did manage to get in touch with the former dojang (I found the name on one of the couple of certificates that I did find), and they have no records that far back.

So, I guess it's one of those things that shall remain lost.

John

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. Its really too bad they didn't keep those records.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That's too bad. Its really too bad they didn't keep those records.

Yeah, well, it has been close to 20 years, I'm surprised they were still in business. But, he's got a younger partner that is also teaching.

John

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: