Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Isn’t the point of practise and training to be able to “do your stuff” without warming up? Is anyone going to say “wait a tick, I have to stretch and warm up” if/when attacked? Physical defense should become a reflex. If one has to think about it, it will invariably end badly.

This is exactly my point. Conditions in training are so far removed from reality, that I sometimes wonder if there's any point to it, other than the obvious fitness and social benefits.

mirkoinbrazil
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a boy back in high school that was gonna show us how high he could kick, but his jeans were tight in the crotch area and so when he kicked, his jeans pulled his other out from under him and he busted it big time. It is a good idea to try out kicking in street clothes to see how it goes. I remember trying to kick with my shoes on for the first time and I felt off balance.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirkoinbrazil wrote:
I remember a boy back in high school that was gonna show us how high he could kick, but his jeans were tight in the crotch area and so when he kicked, his jeans pulled his other out from under him and he busted it big time. It is a good idea to try out kicking in street clothes to see how it goes. I remember trying to kick with my shoes on for the first time and I felt off balance.

This is why I've wondered why my school has never had "plain clothes training" days scattered through the calendar. I've done some on my own, however.

Years ago, I grew upset that my Levi's as they were started becoming rare. 100% cotton was being replaced by a cotton/spandex blend. After a bit of MA training, I see this as a small blessing. That being said, though, I found that the DuluthFlex line of clothes from Duluth Trading Company to be the most MA-friendly. The DuluthFlex Firehose cargo pants are amazing! I've been able to do all my stretches and kicks in them almost as well as I can in my regular uniform.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember not to far in the past when I held a seminar in which one of the parameters was to "wear to the Seminar what you'd normally wear daily." I walked into where the seminar was being conducted, and guess what stood before me??

52 attendees ALL dressed in t-shirts, tennis shoes, and sweatpants!!

Btw, I did get a tiny chuckle out of it because of the happenstance of the the whole darn thing.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of martial arts practitioners are known to actively select most/all their everyday clothes based on the range of movement possible when worn. This could sound a bit obsessive, but it makes perfect sense if one’s regular training aside from that done in a dojo/school is in every day attire such as plain clothes or even whatever is worn on a usual workday.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None telegraphic pandiculation combined with an adrenalin rush works for me, as for clothing (don't wear a gi) much of the time I'm in sweats as most of the time I'm working out or chilling out.

At the last formal occasion, while wearing a suit, ended up giving a free marital art lesson to a few of the guests, they were also martial artists, so not being warmed up and not wearing appropriate clothing isn't an issue for me, good to go, ready to rock and roll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: