Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Can you do your stuff without warmup or preparation? Reply with quote

In the dojo / dojang / gym / call it what you will, we are typically dressed for training. We'll usually do some form of warm up, maybe stretch a bit, loosen off. Then go full tilt.

Do you ever test your ability when in normal clothes and not warmed up?

I like to practice kicking in normal clothes with no warmup. I fund I can do all of it, but only to about waist height instead of head height. I'm content with that.

The reason I ask is because in a real situation, you can't ask the attacker to give you half an hour while you get changed and warmed up before getting attacks.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fight or flight response mimics warmup. Once adrenaline starts flowing, the heart races, arteries and capillaries open up, the airway opens up and breathing increases. With the fight or flight response, you don’t need a warmup. Whoever created us and is responsible for that programming was pretty smart

Clothing is another matter though.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, none of the principles I would fall back on in an attack involve a great deal of flexibility.

I'm more concerned with the probability of me being attacked whilst wearing a hoody or, in the summer, flip-flops/sandals..

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137. That's interesting. It makes sense but I hadn't thought of that. It reminds me of a situation a while ago. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself one evening. I ached all over and really felt old. When suddenly there was a noise a bit too close to the house.instantly I felt as fit as a 20 year old and felt primed for action. It turned out to be nothing as it happens, but still it showed just how quickly you can become ready when necessary.

Mushybees, regarding footwear, I have arthritis in my feet. There is nothing good to say about arthritis but if I was forced to find one positive it would be this. When you have arthritis in your feet, you have to become very, very selective when choosing footwear.that doesn't mean you have to wear ridiculous shoes. I have formals, trainers, and plimsolls. But it dies mean you have to choose very carefully. That means that for me, my footwear never impedes me. Even the formal shoes I wear for work provide good support, good grip, and just the right amount of flex. The result is I can run in them as well as I can run in any other shoes, and when I practice a bit in secret in the facilities at work, I find I can move reasonably well.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this... I tend to wear pants that allow more free movement (DuluthFlex cargo pants, Duluth jeans, Carhartt cargo pants with gusset, etc) when I'm out and about.

Flipflops are easy... kick them off!

I've also thought about being warmed up... adrenaline will kick in and help. Regardless, if you get in a conflict, you shouldn't expect to walk away unharmed. You'll either take hits, or you'll strain something from the effort. Either way, the goal is to be able to walk away.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking high, no, not really. But I can do all of my kicks low without much issue.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As singularity6 said, adrenaline does a good job of getting you ready for fight or flight, so warming up isn't as much of a concern. Even so, most of what I do doesn't require warming up, anyway, unless I'm playing with high kicks for fun
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I better be able to without a warm-up, or I'm in a world of hurt!!

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can you do your stuff without warmup or preparation? Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
In the dojo / dojang / gym / call it what you will, we are typically dressed for training. We'll usually do some form of warm up, maybe stretch a bit, loosen off. Then go full tilt.

Do you ever test your ability when in normal clothes and not warmed up?

I like to practice kicking in normal clothes with no warmup. I fund I can do all of it, but only to about waist height instead of head height. I'm content with that.

The reason I ask is because in a real situation, you can't ask the attacker to give you half an hour while you get changed and warmed up before getting attacks.

The warm up is to help prevent injuries- not help you perform a technique...

This is a common theme of rbsd instructors and styles, who miss the point entirely....

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn’t the point of practise and training to be able to “do your stuff” without warming up? Is anyone going to say “wait a tick, I have to stretch and warm up” if/when attacked? Physical defense should become a reflex. If one has to think about it, it will invariably end badly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: