Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a difficult but interesting topic.
when you strike with the cane, what happens? does the damaged leg hurts or do you almost fall to the ground? maybe we can get ideas how to modify the common cane techniques for the balance problem of the disabled leg.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time (2010) that I used a cane, I was also in a cast to just bellow my knee. Because of the cast, my casted foot was higher off the ground than I was with the tallest shoes I owned. The cast was on my right side (which is affected by mild Cerebral Palsy) which added to my limp & my ability to move quickly. I also have limited use of my right arm & hand. I can do gross motor movements. But fine motor techniques are not going to happen.

I'd watch videos using a simple backward pivot (on either foot), it was much harder. That's when I realized that, at some point, I might have to use a cane full time. The canes that I have are both designed for SD. If I hit someone with either cane, or blocked a technique with it, it would have the desired result.

I know that Hapkido Dojunim GM JI Han Jae is an older man in his 80's. I'd like to see him produce a video showing ideas of mobility.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if i get everything right (english is my 2nd language).
i guess you already tried orthopedical shoes with a sole to "make both legs equally long"?
maybe sharpen the end of the cane could make a strike more effective so it could compensate the lack of reach and strength a little bit.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAfreak wrote:
not sure if i get everything right (english is my 2nd language).
i guess you already tried orthopedical shoes with a sole to "make both legs equally long"?
maybe sharpen the end of the cane could make a strike more effective so it could compensate the lack of reach and strength a little bit.

I'm sorry that I was not clear. The time that I wore a cast and had the difference in leg length because of it has passed. But I had that cast on for 6 months in 2010.

It's funny that you should mention a sharpened end of the cane. One of the canes I have has a sharpened end on the crook. I took that with on an airplane when I had my cast on. Went through extensive screening due to the cast, yet not one TSA official said a word about this cane. Anyone looking at it would notice and say, "THAT it a weapon!" But no one noticed.

I've been in conversation with some Hapkidoan about this and they agree with me that this is a hole in curriculum of their cane SD. I think I may have some help from them.

Thank you so mych for your help.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck and please let us know when the hapkido guys and you found techniques.

Martial Matt
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Southern Kung-Fu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cold Steel Knife company has an excellent DVD for using canes. I've heard the French are masters with cane fighting, so you might look for DVDs about Savate. Otherwise, it seems the majority of martial art styles have some forms of Bo or Jo staff training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: