Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Cane techniques for those w/ actual mobility issues Reply with quote

I'm a Taekwondoin w/ a decent knowledge of joint locks. A few years ago, I tore my calf muscle & was in a cast for the better part of a year. I used a cane during that time to help with balance. Since I needed the cane, my interest in cane SD during that time. I've been able to find many SD videos & programs for designed & to be used by folks who do not have any mobility issues & are able to move freely around their attacker. I've contacted several folks who produce videos for cane SD & asked "what about folks with mobility issues?" & gotten no response for any of them.

I have a disability that, while mild now, may require me to use a cane as I get older. The cane I used will be out of necessity, rather than a prop for a healthy 30 year old 4th Dan waiting for someone to accost them in a dark alley.

Can anyone point me to a cane SD program for those with mobility issues?

Thanks

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds pretty cheesey but have you seen Cane-fu? Its marketed towards seniors and those with limited mobility
http://www.canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51

I wonder why we don't see the cane more commonly? It is something everyone has a good chance of needing to carry at some point in their life.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
It sounds pretty cheesey but have you seen Cane-fu? Its marketed towards seniors and those with limited mobility
http://www.canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51

I wonder why we don't see the cane more commonly? It is something everyone has a good chance of needing to carry at some point in their life.

Yeah, that's where I bought the 2 canes I own. The canes are very strong & would hold up well, if need be. When I've emailed the folks there asking if they had videos designed for folks with less mobility, I got no response. All of their folks in the videos (I bought several) are quite agile & don't need to use a cane. Their canes are very nice, however.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peo Le need to use canes for a lot of different reasons. Some have hip problems, some are knees, back, etc. A fellow student at my dojo was using one for a few weeks due to his balance being thrown off from a severe inner ear infection.

I'm guessing they made the videos with the mentality of the practitioner will modify techniques in appropriate ways. The more techniques there are, the more they'd have to modify, and add to that different modifications for different conditions. I'd take the videos as a base to modify as needed.

I haven't seen the videos, so I can't speculate if they're intended for people who genuinely need to carry canes or if they're intended for people who don't actually need to carry them.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i haven't seen any self defence programs for those with mobility issues. but would be interested in seeing it though

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Personally i haven't seen any self defence programs for those with mobility issues. but would be interested in seeing it though

I think someone would do well if they developed one. The person who developed Canemasters in the US markets it (in part) to seniors who use a cane, but it's more of an exercise program, rather than SD for them. It's still useful, but hardly interchangeable. It's very frustrating for me to see the difference betwen how it's marketed & its actual use.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in hapkido they do cane training and you'll find some instructionals on youtube.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAfreak wrote:
in hapkido they do cane training and you'll find some instructionals on youtube.

Yes they do. But if you notice, none of the people demonstrating have any mobility issues & move quickly & in quite an agile way arounf their opponents. Those techniques are designed for & by people who don't need to have a cane to get around. I'm looking for SD for people who need a cane to be able to walk.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except of "wheelchair-karate" i never heard of a style for disabled people. i think its up to everyone to adapt techniques to make them work for him with his handicaps. like always (being non-flexible or chubby or small).

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAfreak wrote:
except of "wheelchair-karate" i never heard of a style for disabled people. i think its up to everyone to adapt techniques to make them work for him with his handicaps. like always (being non-flexible or chubby or small).

That sounds good, but it is not that simple. My point is that no one has even addressed the issues of mobility &/or disability with an item used by folks with those issues. So far, we're teaching able-bodied people to defend themselves using an item that they will look suspicious walking down the street with.

The people who are selling canes & marketing to older folks who use canes are only talking about using it for exercise. They are not even addressing SD for mobility issues. No, they address every mobility issue. But they are not addressing any mobility issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: