Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ... So we had a thread on washing of the belt ... I ran across something that in TKD I never heard of but it is a tradition in Karate. Does anyone else "fold their gi" a certain way?

Your uniform must be properly cared for. Washing after training is essential for sanitation purposes as well as to show respect to you, fellow practitioners and the gi itself unlike the belt which per Karate tradition should never be washed because you do not wish to wash away the knowledge and hard work that you have put into your training.
Also there is a certain way to fold the gi and pants (zuban) and then one must tie the belt around the gi for security and preservation of your hard work. Now I never heard of this but does anyone here have to follow this particular tradition at their school?
Also I read too that a true artist never throws his/her uniform in a bag without showing the proper respect for it. (i.e. following the correct folding procedures which were demonstrated on this web site)

Another thing ... it is said that a martial artist never wears their uniform out in public. This shows poor training protocol as well as ego. Your gi in the arts is for you alone to appreciate, not for the public to give value or critique.
I thought this was purely stated for highly traditional schooling in the arts and was wondering if anyone here is that traditional?

After washing after every class ("hmmm, what detergent to use to get it oh so white") ... and to starch or not to starch .... that is usually how I care for my gi ....

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-26 17:20 ]

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're expected to keep our do-boks clean and ironed, or at the least wrinkle free. Whenever we go out after a class or anything most people just chuck on a t-shirt or something and leave the do-bok trousers as they are simply to save time. Respecting your uniform though? I can see the reasoning behind it, and its not necessarily a bad thing, we just don't do it. Same as you might treat a tracksuit. You'd want it clean, and you'd probably want it ironed for comfort and so you look a little smarter than you would otherwise, but after training you wouldn't particularly worry about folding it up because its only going in the wash anyways.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional care and folding of the gi is like many parts of the martial arts - more lore than truth. I think what is actually stressed is keeping it clean and odor free as a matter of respect for the art, classmates and instructor.

I have chuckled many times over stories about schools that were very hard core and prided their blood stains. One I met a student from was talking about gi's that could stand up by theirselves and were no longer even close to white. That is until an instructors Japanese wife who grew up in a dojo passed on the imformation that this was really offensive and no where in Japan would be found gi's in such a state.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the following: http://www.24fightingchickens.com/shotokan/101/20_uniform.html

It gives a whole list of dos and don'ts. Also good for a read is the part of the site where he talks about his time in Japan training - could shatter a few Western ideas about Japan and karate!

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wash my gi quite often usually when it has blood on it. but round the neck it gets quite dirty. i think its good to wash it because its respect to your gi and your martial art. it shows your love for the art.

Deirou Kuzan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx for that site Bitseach. and i wash mine everytime i use it, as for blood... umm.. i never bled on it, is it normal to?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that site Bitseach ... that was very much similar to what I read aabout the folding.

...and honest that wasn't me at the gas station wearing my uniform as I was pumping gas into my car! ...

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many schools in our area, including the Shotokan dojo I attend, don't mind having grit and blood on your gi, as long as it stays clean. What I mean to say is, if you have blood stains, dirt stains, and other such things on it, you should still clean the gi and have it looking sharp and smelling good. Give it that battered, battle-hardened look, but with good form.

My sensei says that if your gi is clean and neatly pressed by the time you leave the dojo, you weren't trying hard enough.

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a very traditional school and we do fold our gi up after each workout we are also expected to keep the gi as clean as posable. However you do not wash the belt or wear the belt or gi out in public. It is considered disrepectful and does not show humility. we are also allowed only 2 patches if any a dojo patch over the heart and an orginazation patch on the left arm.

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our dojo, dirty odiferous Gis are not permitted. If it can get up and walk away on its own..... let it go!!!! As for the belts if they are getting grungy light hand cleaning is the way to go.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: