Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Maxma
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do, Eskrima Silat, Muay Thai, Wing Chun Kung Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank7 wrote:
If you fellows wouldn;t mind my curioustity what if i carrie a kali stick painted black and appears to be a police stick , but its not ..its used for martial arts purposes would this be ok/.//??
a kali stick is a kali stick no matter what its color. the fact that it is a weapon, even if it was a police stick, may cause issues.

as for the original question:
If you're worried about transporting weapons to and from your school or tournaments or whatever, i would say keep them in a container, and store them in your trunk. Here in virginia, police can't open the trunk unless you're arrested, so many problems can be put out right there, whereas if it was sitting on the passenger seat and you got a speeding ticket, it would be in plain sight, and if you don't have a permit to carry a weapon, then you'd be in trouble. Putting it in your trunk prevents any hassle in the first place.
Also, to carry one on your person, generally you need a permit to carry a weapon, or a concealed weapon, depending on its size and placement on your body.
Again, this is mainly for carrying on your person. If you are just transporting to or from a tournament or your school, and don't keep it on you as you travel anywhere else, you should be fine, as others have stated above me.
and Life goes hand-in-hand.
~Max

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davison wrote:
I wouldn't carry a sword around in Illinois. ecspecially out on the street.Besides the general public freaking out, I think the police would probably have somthing to say.

So right!. Each community also has their own little rules about such stuff. Even training weapons might cause you problems. Although I do not know why you would want to carry such things on the street I would ask that you contact your local authorities to be on the safe side.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had too much problem here in oregon. I wouldn't recommend wearing it or making too much of a show that you are carrying one. You don't want to chance the local hicks deciding to make something out of it. If you're visibly carring one, odds are you're gonna get questioned by the cops, but as long as you've got a legitimate reason, they won't bother you. Our class used to meet in a park and practice with live blades.

Ace2021
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Daido Juku Karatedo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In I think..four states, it's illegal to carry around nunchucku around..let alone a bladed/wooden sword. which I dislike very much

PlasmaShock
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in canada so its illegal to own any weapons like automatic guns, tazers, and stuff like that. the only thing you can have with a permit is martial arts weapons, semi-auto guns, shotguns, rifles, and some other things. of course you can have pocket knifes.

Greenfire54
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do, Kobu-do,shin shin jujitsu, aikido, wreslting, boxing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Our class used to meet in a park and practice with live blades.
You actually fight with real blades? isn't that alittle dangerous. afterall , someone could mess up and die

Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go untill they think they are going to collapse. but the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further beyond all limits. Only when all these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenfire54 wrote:
Quote:
You actually fight with real blades? isn't that alittle dangerous. afterall , someone could mess up and die

Forms, not sparring... We've also cut tatami(soaked bamboo mats stood upright on a stand.) No, we wouldn't actually spar with a live blade... that would be silly.

Rick_72
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sai's are under my back seat in my truck. I can't imagine getting in any trouble for having them, as their not sharp. But I could imagine some strange looks if I was walking around with a katana strapped to my waist (*see Highlander the movie haha).

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Carrying swords in the USA Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
Greenfire54 wrote:
Quote:

Forms, not sparring... We've also cut tatami(soaked bamboo mats stood upright on a stand.) No, we wouldn't actually spar with a live blade... that would be silly.

But you could fight with blunts!!

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Carrying swords in the USA Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
But you could fight with blunts!!

I love going out in the park with my friends and going to town. It's great once you get over the fear of getting hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: