Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

intofdom
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Caught kick? Reply with quote

I have been wondering,
When you kick with your foot and if the foot is quickly caught, it is a very vulnerable position.
You cant lift another leg and balance is gone if we move forward with our hands.Also if the foot is quicly pulled we will fall on our back.
Can anyone tell what should be done if a kick is caught?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shown/used a step in while doing a shin kick to head, walking in mule kick, and a scissor takedown from leg grabs at chest height. I dont know that any of those would be possible for you, though.
What kick are you thinking of?

intofdom
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about a basic front kick to the chest.
If it is caught I feel helpless, is there any counter if a kick is caught?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pulling your foot back, leaning forward and climbing them like a ladder.
Also pull your foot back at the end of your kick and dont stick your foot in their arms to begin with.

Last edited by JusticeZero on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, work on rechambering the kicks fast. Kick hard, and pull it back fast.

Aside from that, if your leg gets caught, then you need still need to rechamber hard and fast; only this time, you will hopefully pull the attacker in towards you, or you will hop/slide in towards your attacker. Close that space, grab onto them with both hands, and work from there. Perhaps, if have the knowledge, attempt to jump onto them and pull guard of some kind. It may not be ideal, but it beats getting thrown to the ground on their terms. Once you get grabbed, you're moving to grappling at that point, anyways, so you best initiate it.

Hope that helps. I'm sure there would be some more knowledgeable insight from those with experiences greater than mine.

On a side note, I did have my brother catch a round kick to the body of mine once. I jumped and wheeled around a hook kick with the other foot. Now, this was fun sparring, not a real fight, but the kick did its job, and he let go. I'm not recommending it as the best option. But it did work.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a concern if your style does any kicking (like mine does). The first thing is not to be in a position where you can be grabbed, i.e. work on retrieving the leg quickly. That is also good practice if you want to double or triple up on the kicks.

What I'd do, if my front kick were grabbed, is to send my weight forward and try to clinch. Then I could regain a certain amount of control but also be able to throw some strikes of my own. I suppose if you were comfortable doing so, you could try to take both of you to the ground and then go from there.

As a last resort you can try to kick off of the standing leg and/or attempt a takedown using the legs. Not recommended as it's difficult to pull off and can leave you very vulnerable.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can't be seen, in this case, can't be "grabbed". Speed is an important part of training.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sweep the leg. If I were the one doing the catching, that is.

If someone were to catch my leg when I kicked, I'd immediately start hopping into them and put my weight down on the leg to either force them to let go or take them down. Of course, that really only works with the close range Okinawan kicks. You'd have to take someone else's advice with long range kicks (I personally probably wouldn't even attempt a long kick).

ShotokanMaster
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate Do,american kenpo karate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Caught kick? Reply with quote

when you do your front kick you have to always bring your foot back or else they can get it and you will fall on your back and make sure your front kick is snappy so they will not get it sometimes they will sweep ya or do take down it happend to me a lot of times haha now i know what to do

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the fastest kick can get caught from time to time, so it's important to know how to defend against it.

Most of the time your leg gets scooped by your opponent's arm and then they either trap it against their body or throw it to the side to off-balance you. As soon as your kick is caught, you need to react quickly.

If they only have a loose hold on your leg, simply yank your leg back into chamber and it should free your leg. If they have a bit of a tighter grip on it, you might only get part of your leg free but in most cases the bottom of your foot should now be somewhere on their torso. Use that foot to push off of their body as you retract the kick strongly and it should free your leg. If they have a good strong grip on it (and you will know right away when they do in most cases) turn the knee of the caught leg downwards as you hook their body with that foot and pull them into you. Clinch up with them by grabbing the back of their head and push down on their head as you rake your trapped leg downwards and out to free it.

If you can strike to set these up, do so, but a fighter good at kick catching will try to catch your kicks by the Achilles tendon, which they can then use to twist your leg over and not only break your balance and leave you unable to strike but it also hurts a good bit. So use strikes if you can but don't rely on them. There's other ways of escaping obviously but these are some good basic starting points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: