Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Ringworm is the same exact strain as is athletes foot just merely somewhere else on the body. This explains why it’s so prevalent. You could keep your mats and equipment clean as possible yet someone with poor hygiene trains and they’ve got some funk on their foot- you could get ringworm.

Impetigo is s little more aggressive but also much rarer.

Herpes.... god that’s awful.

Most bjj competitions do not check for skin conditions despite claims they do or will....

Ringworm, athlete’s foot, and jock itch are all the same fungus; just differentiated by where they are.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Ringworm is the same exact strain as is athletes foot just merely somewhere else on the body. This explains why it’s so prevalent. You could keep your mats and equipment clean as possible yet someone with poor hygiene trains and they’ve got some funk on their foot- you could get ringworm.

Most bjj competitions do not check for skin conditions despite claims they do or will....

Does it tend to be as big an issue with BJJ as it is with Wrestling? I hear about it all the time with wrestling, but don't know if its the same with BJJ, perhaps with the difference being between the gi and the singlet?

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:

Does it tend to be as big an issue with BJJ as it is with Wrestling? I hear about it all the time with wrestling, but don't know if its the same with BJJ, perhaps with the difference being between the gi and the singlet?

That's a very generalize question but I'll answer it best I can.

Wrestlers fight with their head and face, using it as an extra appendage when taking someone down. That's the usual reason for the ears. BJJers may or may not encounter that based on which facet of the game they're practicing. My ears got fouled up because I was a young skinny kid and the guy they put every big strong guy against who came in for their first class. Since these guys were new they'd always go straight for a headlock once they were put inside my guard. The constant prying of my head out of headlock positions would start to inflame my ears and my training routine was daily multiple times a day so once they started to get inflamed it was just a countdown more or less.

That's my experience but obviously many others will differ. Those that have been training since they were children are unlikely to develop the ears because they tend to have a decent understanding of technique by the time they become adults, which is why the Gracies ears aren't mangled for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: