Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Cave Man/Women Workouts Reply with quote

In the pursuit of variety in workouts, I have stumbled across something not found in the local sports equipment section.

Outdoor sports equipment for the Spartan types are great but what was before that?

I can imagine cave man/women workouts comprised of using Rocks!

Boxers use a very heavy medicine ball; I'll bet that was an adaptation from a rock.

Sit-ups (Russian style) with a twist while holding a weight is another adaptation from using a rock.

Today while sitting in a box split position, while throwing and catching a heavy rock in front of me did catch the eye of many passers by.

Just doing normal squats while holding a heavy rock adds a new level of difficulty to the exercise mix.

Nice smooth egg shape rocks are great to work with, in a variety of sizes, fitting the exercise situation.

Rock or bolder throwing is a great way to have fun while exercising; a little (rock & roll) similar to bowling but without all the fuss.

Or just carrying a heavy rock around by hand or on the shoulder works easily well.

After this week's exercises and finishing it off in a primitive way, I do feel a kind of connection with our early ancestors, with a few well deserved aching muscles.

Don't worry about being self-conscious when grunting with your rock workout, in cave man/women style, it is almost expected; of course you could drown out your own noise with some rock music; preferably "The Rolling Stones"

You might have the urge later on, to go clubbing or to attend a rock festival! This is perfectly natural, nothing to worry about.

Be creative with your rock workout, you never know, you might re-invent the wheel or better still, start a rock band.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14670
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest thing to a Caveman workout for me is whenever I use the very large truck/tractor tires. Flipping them can be a challenge!!




_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Closest thing to a Caveman workout for me is whenever I use the very large truck/tractor tires. Flipping them can be a challenge!!



Now we are talking/grunting! Well done!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14670
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Closest thing to a Caveman workout for me is whenever I use the very large truck/tractor tires. Flipping them can be a challenge!!



Now we are talking/grunting! Well done!!!!

Not only flipping them, but rolling them, as well, is quite a cardio warm-up and calorie burn. Then, I also drag them behind me for 50-100 yards.

More and more I see gyms, especially Cross-Fit gyms, have several tires in varying sizes that their members can use.

I'll also hit them with a 20lb sledgehammer 100 times per side.

Of course, with my lower back in its present state, I'm not as active with them as I use to be.



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Closest thing to a Caveman workout for me is whenever I use the very large truck/tractor tires. Flipping them can be a challenge!!



Now we are talking/grunting! Well done!!!!

Not only flipping them, but rolling them, as well, is quite a cardio warm-up and calorie burn. Then, I also drag them behind me for 50-100 yards.

More and more I see gyms, especially Cross-Fit gyms, have several tires in varying sizes that their members can use.

I'll also hit them with a 20lb sledgehammer 100 times per side.

Of course, with my lower back in its present state, I'm not as active with them as I use to be.


Creatively is more important than knowledge; Einstein.

Creative workouts have there place in the world of fitness.

The body responds to irregularity in surfaces and variations of movement as we were not born to exercise in indoor gymnasium environments.

While on the cave people workout topic, as they hunted or looked for food, moving heavy objects was a part of their everyday way to survive.

I'm sure cavemen wrestled with animals just as much as they did with each other; survival of the fittest, sometimes depended of brute strength alone.

Wrestling with a larg tractor tire and then beating it with a sledge hammer, must be similar to wrestling with perhaps a bear or wolf, then having to beat it with a weapon.

Something mankind has had to do out of necessity, many millenniums ago, way before rubber tires and metal hammers heads, were made available to us.

Nothing wrong with having a caveman workout, then eating heartedly and followed up with a nap.

Seems like the natural order of things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >