Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Century Reactor Reply with quote

Not long before I ordered the Torrent T2 Pro, I picked up a floor model of the Reactor from Century. It looks like a baby version of the Versys V1. At first, I thought it could be somewhat useful for working on strikes and round kicks. The thing topples over too easy with any strike that has a lot of "torque" (spin kicks, hook kicks, etc - I'm also questioning the use of torque, but nothing else better comes to mind.) Initially, it worked a little bit, if you were patient. After a few weeks of use, it developed a weak spot in the core. Since it flexes at this weak spot, it no longer bounces back. I didn't do too much with it, either. I knew it wouldn't hold up to hard hits, and thus I didn't even try.

It looks like Century is discontinuing the item. So, if you see it on the clearance rack, leave it there.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it that bad? I've seen some ads for it lately and was seriously considering it for messing around in the house with. Would it be OK for kids do you think?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about picking one up a while back. A few weeks later I was in the same store I saw it in (Dick’s Sporting Goods) and it was bent in half; kinda like flopped over about 1/3 of the way up. I’ve seen it in several other stores, and they’re all the same, or you can clearly see it developing.

Most Century stuff has a year warranty or so. Call them up and see if they’ll do anything for you.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did buy a floor model. And yes, I think it's that bad. It could be suitable for young kids for a while, but overall, I think the kids WaveMaster or the Versys V1 would probably be better moves (first being cheaper, the second being more versatile.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Is it that bad? I've seen some ads for it lately and was seriously considering it for messing around in the house with. Would it be OK for kids do you think?

IMO it’s even worse. It’s seemingly not strong enough to even support its own weight for any length of time. I saw a brand new one, fresh out of the box at a local store. It was a newer version of the previously bent one. My kids played with it and loved it - 5 and 7 years old. Less than two months later that same one was folded in half just like the old one. Not a mark on it, and it was up on a shelf.

Every one I’ve seen was either bent in half or had a crease that you could tell it was on its way if you’ve seen them bent before. I really wanted one for me and the girls. I’ve got better ways of wasting a hundred bucks or so.

Check this video out. Notice it bends near the bottom of the “Century” writing every time it’s hit. And it’s reportedly brand new out of the box.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CD1kV_GCsAE

Here’s a follow up video from the same guy a few days later. The bend at the same spot is significantly more noticeable. He rescinded his recommendation.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnZYFDLl3rE

After a little while, that bag is just going to flop over at that bend. And A LOT sooner than later.

There’s an Arashi 110 version of it that seems better. Same exact thing happened to every one I’ve seen. I know, I really want one too. But I’ve got better ways to waste $100. Taking the girls and my wife out to a $100 dinner would be far better investment.

Edit: I just remembered... when I bought my BOB XL, Century’s website had them on clearance for something like $35. And I still didn’t buy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: