Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Is the Torrent bag basically a redesigned Wavemaster 2XL?

Yes!! The stem is much shorter, and it has, what I call, a knuckle at the base of the stem, which gives it like a joint; not a stiff stem. That stiff and tall stem is why the other free standing bags topple over quite easily...bag moves, NOT the entire bag.

That's been my experiences with the Torrent and many others!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those of you with a Wavemaster XXL - how’s the padding’s long-term durability?

The one I used to hit at my YMCA was a bit soft, but a good soft. I haven’t hit that one in about a year or so. I was there a few weeks ago and messed around it it while my daughters were running around. It was softer than my pillow. No exaggeration. Just taking a fooling around jab at it, I hit the center support post.

Obviously it’s in a public-type place and who knows what people are doing to it, but still.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
DWx wrote:
If it's anything like a Wavemaster... one of our guys snapped once with a roundhouse once kicked it clean off the base. He is a bit of a physical beast though

If you can't hang a bag I think they are a good option. The benefit of a hanging bag is that it swings and moves with each strike which you won't get with a freestanding bag, but for basic bag work they are a good alternative.

I’ve heard that happening from several people with the Wavemaster 2XL/XXL. Watching a Torrent assembly video from Century, it appears they’ve redesigned the part that goes into the base. Rather than the base being a donut, so to speak, where the bag threads into it, the base has a shaft part that the bag slides onto. No more unscrewing and the bag part coming up. At least in theory anyway.

That might be better and more durable. The one we had we had to bin as the plastic core was in two pieces.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
DWx wrote:
If it's anything like a Wavemaster... one of our guys snapped once with a roundhouse once kicked it clean off the base. He is a bit of a physical beast though

If you can't hang a bag I think they are a good option. The benefit of a hanging bag is that it swings and moves with each strike which you won't get with a freestanding bag, but for basic bag work they are a good alternative.

I’ve heard that happening from several people with the Wavemaster 2XL/XXL. Watching a Torrent assembly video from Century, it appears they’ve redesigned the part that goes into the base. Rather than the base being a donut, so to speak, where the bag threads into it, the base has a shaft part that the bag slides onto. No more unscrewing and the bag part coming up. At least in theory anyway.

That might be better and more durable. The one we had we had to bin as the plastic core was in two pieces.

How long did it last? Ultimately, I want something that'll last a while. It'll probably only be me and the wife beating on it, which means it'll see less abuse than it would at a school.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
DWx wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
DWx wrote:

How long did it last? Ultimately, I want something that'll last a while. It'll probably only be me and the wife beating on it, which means it'll see less abuse than it would at a school.

She’s referring to the previous Wavemaster XXL model.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall is the ceiling? For long term durability and value for money, a traditional heavy bag on a bag stand would be better. There’s also wall mount heavy bag hangers out there. I’d exhaust all the options before committing to a freestanding bag. There was no option for me, so I went with the BOB XL. I really like it, but I’d honestly much rather a Muay Thai bag.

More so than tipping over, I think the biggest aggravation for me is freestanding bags walk all over. The only way I stopped it from happening was buying one of those industrial rubber floor mats. Filled with 6 bags of pea gravel and on top of one of those mats, and my BOB doesn’t move at all.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
How tall is the ceiling? For long term durability and value for money, a traditional heavy bag on a bag stand would be better. There’s also wall mount heavy bag hangers out there. I’d exhaust all the options before committing to a freestanding bag. There was no option for me, so I went with the BOB XL. I really like it, but I’d honestly much rather a Muay Thai bag.

More so than tipping over, I think the biggest aggravation for me is freestanding bags walk all over. The only way I stopped it from happening was buying one of those industrial rubber floor mats. Filled with 6 bags of pea gravel and on top of one of those mats, and my BOB doesn’t move at all.

Maybe 6'6" in the tallest spots. Those spots aren't necessarily ideal for a bag stand, either.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Maybe 6'6" in the tallest spots. Those spots aren't necessarily ideal for a bag stand, either.

For giggles, you may want to go to a local sporting goods store and measure the height of a bag stand. Make sure you include the bolt that sticks up. You might be able to get one in. Maybe.

I know, I seem like I’m dwelling on this. As a guy who’s hit freestanding and good hanging bags, hanging bags easily win.

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
Singularity - have you considered a hanging bag with a bag stand?

I have. I'm not sure that would work with the layout of my basement. Our ceilings are about 6 and a half feet tall where there is no plumbing, boiler pipes or electrical. I'm also nervous about drilling into the floor.

Alternatively, websites like Title.com or Ringside.com have some alternative heavy bag hangers that you can use that I believe don't involve screwing in.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoravencroft wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
Singularity - have you considered a hanging bag with a bag stand?

I have. I'm not sure that would work with the layout of my basement. Our ceilings are about 6 and a half feet tall where there is no plumbing, boiler pipes or electrical. I'm also nervous about drilling into the floor.

Alternatively, websites like Title.com or Ringside.com have some alternative heavy bag hangers that you can use that I believe don't involve screwing in.

Somehow I missed part of that...

You don’t need to screw anything into the floor. I’ve never seen a bag stand that screws into the floor.

Something like this (I’m not endorsing this on in particular)...
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/century-heavy-bag-stand-16cenucntryhvybgssac/16cenucntryhvybgssac

No screwing to anything (no pun intended). You’d need to buy a few weight plates to keep it from moving. The weights go on the pegs on the legs and the back. Or sandbags.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: