Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm opening a new school in a few months. I'm debating about buying the Wavemaster stand alone bag. I was looking at the XXL version which is almost 6 feet tall. Should I buy this one or should I just buy the smaller version? Does the base on the bigger one get in the way for kicking drills? What do you recommend?

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using this for adults or kids? Also, beginners have a tendency to leave their foot on the bag for too long and knock over the smaller ones.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would mostly be used for the adults but I do want the older kids to use it also. It has also been my experience that the lower ranks esp. during sidekick drills tend to push the bags as oppossed to kicking them thus knocking them over. Have you used the XXL and how is it? Can you knock it over or is it just to big. Does the base get in the way during double roundkicks etc?

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base on the XXL is excessively large - my instructor has a bunch of realy good ones i will ask him what brand they are

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bad experience with those. They tend to leek, if you fill them with water. But, if you have to fill it, use sand. It makes it more "heavy" and takes more abuse, in my opinion. It's worked well for me (with sand).

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a standard adult size wavemaster with 250# of sand in it and only a very strong push kick would come closed to knocking it over. During drills, if we are practicing push kicks, the person who kicks goes behind after kicking and holds the bag. Generally speaking, the standard ones work quite well for normal drills.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use and like the "PowerLine" (deluxe) bag (filled w/sand) double vinyled to take more impact. We have only 2 of those at our school and about 20 or so of the orig. wavemasters . The orig. wm do tend to get squishy after repeatedly getting kicked & punched. Our school uses ownly the orig. Wavemaster line. Order from Century and because you are a school owner and will most likely be ordering in qty. they will offer you a good pricing and a good warranty .... replacements (usually no questions asked if you need to return for any reason).
As far as the bag falling over ... we usually have contests sidekicking up and down floors to see who moves the bag the most distance .... if you knock it down it slows you down so technique is key in kicking the bag!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-05 09:13 ]

Playdoughmonkey
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get big guys banging on them they'll be leaking in about 3 months. They don't take a lot of abuse. Someone suggested filling them with sand, thats a good idea.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I fill them with sand I'll have less problems??? I did have a problem years ago with an original wavemaster which started to leak. Sand will also make it heavier won't it? That would work even better...

Pete

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The centre wher I teach got some -and for the Lau Gar classes they where very popular.

I was banned from using them in my classes though as our Muay Thai kicks had them leaking inside a month.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: