Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karate-Kid
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm thinking about getting the Wavemaster. anyone had experience with these? i'm just starting out in karate so i dont think i'll have to worry about breaking the thing. Is this a good piece of equipment to get started with? Does the base get in the way? Is it ok to punch it with bare hands?

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say its a good buy if you like it. I would recommend filling it with sand instead of water though, just in case a crack forms in it. Unless your hands are already slightly toughened, I wouldn't recommend hitting it bare handed for a while. Small bag gloves are enough though. The base can get in the way sometimes. Personally, I prefer a regular heavy bag so it can swing around when I kick it and I can practice kicking a moving target. It all depends on your taste though, and if you have somewhere to hang a regular heavy bag. If you have nowhere to hang it, then the wavemaster is definately for you.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one sitting here in my living room and personally I like it. There is no convenient way for many of us apartment dwellers to hang a heavy bag from the ceiling. It really isn;t hard to move around. And if I want my place to look a bit more like someone of my age actually does live here it nicely slides into a corner and makes a great coat rack.

All kidding aside the way I have my living room set up I can move the desk chair and have an area with adequat size to work with it in. I enjoy chasing it across the room. Only real problem is sometimes i get ready to start bangin away on it and then realize that my neighbors are asleep because it is 3:00 am; and they are not nocturnal creatures like I am.

I have a corner with my "toys" in it that are all ready to be pulled out into the middle of the room when I want to play with them. I have a nice stationary bike, weight bench and fitness ball.

As you can well imagine sometimes when someone comes in for the first time the place gets rather strange looks but this is my place and I can set it up anyway I want to. And watchout as you come in the door I have a tension rod hanging inside the door where every thing from wet cloths to targets get hung on a regular basis.

But back to the topic I have been beating on my wavemaster for 2 years with no problems. That is just my use no one else plays with it.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option from Century is the Powerline, just like the Wavemaster but more padding, and (I'm told) more durable. An extra 60-70 bucks, if I remember right. That's what I have, but I've never used a Wavemaster so I couldn't tell you if it was worth the extra cash.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go with the original. (I do believe Century has a money back limited guarantee to replace if it leaks/damages) Yes Blade I like the sand too!
I love mine!!! They make these cool frames ou can attach to your wavemaster now to slip in a picture for some added punching incentive! Love it!
Makes a great cat post too!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-19 08:18 ]

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 of them. A body opponent bag and the wavemaster XXL. They are both great pieces of equip. and Century has a warranty on them.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about having your own puching bag sitting (or hanging) around is all the walk by punches and kicks that get thrown. I mean it is hard to resist taking a shot at it everytime you pass by.

Karate-Kid
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input everyone. i'll be looking into getting one of these soon.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to buy one of these. Only problem is that they're even more expensive than a hanging bag and seperate stand. (Which is also 4x the price of a bag alone)

I'm gonna make my own wooden free-standing makiwara instead.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to make an indoor or outdoor makiwara, Taikudo-ka? There are instructions for outdoor ones all over the place, but the indoor ones are supposed to be much trickier to get the right strength and resistance. Someday when I have the extra cash I'll probably just buy one. But anyway, you know its purpose is very different from a heavy bag, right? You can't really use it to work on footwork and combinations and such.

I just got a double end ball up in the garage, so far I'd say its great for focus and footwork. But after working on it for awhile the other day, my knuckles on both hands were all itchy for hours, which seemed really weird. I think I'm going to wipe the thing down with soap and water before I use it next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: