Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheating in fighting. Is there such a thing?
What makes it cheating? What would constitute as a cheat move?

ps.
Those who know me, know I am referring to fighting, not tournament or the likes, but pure fighting.

I've mentioned this before, but I would like to bring it out on its own so it can be more fully discussed. I feel that so many misunderstand the concepts and principles behind this method of thought that it deserves its own thread. It may be brief, I could be wrong, but I would to bring it up anyways.

[ This Message was edited by: Martial_Artist on 2002-06-24 12:56 ]

Knuth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouge the eyes, slap the ears, pound their balls, bend their fingers, etc. In a fight do what ever you can to win.(period)

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such thing as cheating in my books if your refering to a fight on the street.

But then again people have different perspectives on this.

For example, I was out numbered once. The kids were 16-18 years of age. The incident turned violent when one of the kids yelled "he can't take us all at once" and threw a kick at me.

He hit my arm with his kick, and I squared up launching a kick straight up between his legs (He was off-balance after his kick, too much musical kata you know). Needless to say the kick lifted him off the ground, stopped him, and made him cry. After that his friends were pretty cooperative.

Anyways the kids dad was a little upset, and wanted to kick me in the "boys", so I knew how his son felt. He told me that I was an "bad word" for fighting dirty. At which point I said "that's nice" and said if his son had not kicked me and tried to get the others to jump in I wouldn't have resorted to such aggressive means.

I have pulled ears, poked eyes, bitten, grabbed and twisted skin, hit people in the nuts, pulled hair, pinched, tickled, and scratched.

No such thing as cheating, just survival.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****ing hell Iron Arahat i wouldnt wanna bump into you through a dark ally!! but i agree do what you have to to survive.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can someone cheat in a fight if there are no rules? On the street there are no rules. Fighting on the street is alot different than sparring in class. There is no feinting, no circling around your opponent, no fancy foot movement. When a fight happens, it happens fast. With a blink of an eye, you can be jumped from behind by a gang or have two guys running at you trying to pound you to the ground. They don't want to kill you, just want to give you a few broken ribs, and a good excuse for missing work for a month. So what do you do? Anything you can (knees, elbows, eye gouging, running) from getting a ride to the hospital in an ambulance.

"All I can do is hit him back ten times harder."

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree that there is no such thin as 'cheating' in a real fight, there are codes of honor observed, depending on where you go. Among boxers, and just about anyone in the States, kicking someone in the balls is just wrong. Even fighting for your life, most people won't do that. So if the other guy doesn't, it might be considered 'cheating' to do so. Of course, if it's a life and death thing, I value my life over their fertility, and if that offends them, excuse me

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they attack me then everything they have is forfeit, not merely for my safety but simply to prevent me being bruised or hurt in the least. I wouldn't kill someone who just tried to punch me in a random swing, but I wouldn't hesitate to kick them in the groin or knock them unconscious with a nearby beer bottle.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Northren Ogre
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bitten a guy on the cheek, smashed someone in the head with a pool ball....I've definatley kicked people in the berries. I've been called a "dirty" fighter, but you know what..i don't care..I got up..I won..I inflicted the most pain I could in the shortest period of time to make sure i don't lose. That's the whole goal in a street fight...to pound your opponent into the ground by any means .

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the nicest guy in the world, right up until it's time to stop being nice.
That time is when you are too stupid to be reasoned with, and I have no choice but to defend myself and in a dark alley, well let's just say I'll do it by any means necessary.
By being the nicest, sweetest person you can during any altercation, you have the upper hand because the bad guy has NO idea what you are capable of.
I beleive in respecting training partners by judicious use of force in accordance with how much brutality we are both willing to endure, so if you are practicing for street defense...there should be no restriction on techniques, just on amount of force.
I've probably stated the very obvious though...Heh heh.
The concept of cheating was designed to apply to a game or activity with rules.
With the absence of such rules "cheating" is really just a subjective and therefore inapplicable term.
Stabbing an old man who kicked you because you * him off for some reason makes you a lowlife and a criminal but "Cheater"
seems doesn't quite fit.

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-06-25 01:51 ]

Sin Style
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a street fight id never bite or punch kick to the crown jewels i think it makes you look weak "ha i took down the hardest geezer in the area" but you did it in one hit with a low blow? theres no honour in it.

but if i was out number a good toe punt to the nuts would work very well
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: