Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Chi Power Q/A Reply with quote

Do you practice chi power? Are you sure? Bruce Lee practiced chi power in his JKD. If you would like to share your story or opinion on how you use your CHI POWER then you have come to the right place. Or if you have a question on the subject I will do my best to answer it for you.

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: MCM WING CHUN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Chi Power Q/A Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Do you practice chi power? Are you sure? Bruce Lee practiced chi power in his JKD. If you would like to share your story or opinion on how you use your CHI POWER then you have come to the right place. Or if you have a question on the subject I will do my best to answer it for you.

Just my opinion but I don't believe in Chi Power in the way westerns think it is. Using eastern terms like Chi, Yin/yang, 5 elments , and so on is confusing to non asians and I believe using eastern terms instead of western terms to explain ancient terminolgy does more harm then good. everything I teach can be explained in western terms and IMO should because we live in morndern times and science can explain it in a rational and logical manner.

"When the student is ready the master will appear"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is chi power, yin/yang and five elements from a western perspective then? What harm does Eastern ancient terminology do? How do you explain these things in modern times in a scientific and logical, rational manner?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view of using chi power may differ from other martial artists because there are many ways of using it. First of all the concept of pandiculation is needed here. This is what we usually do before doing anything physical. It is like a mini warm up. It is also telegraphing your intent. When using chi power in a punch for instance, pandiculation or telegraphing warns your opponent of your intent and we don't want that do we! Chi power is fast and direct. Nothing pulled back like using a bow and arrow, because you should already be loaded to unleash your blow. Pow! Quick fast and direct. Using chi power is a very fast moving throughout motion without using any breaks. Muay Thai kicks use the same chi power concept, by using this follow through motion. Baseball players use chi power also; to hit a ball out of the park. An explosion is chi power therefore chi power should be used explosively! In other words an instant release of energy. Muscle power, pushes, pulls, holds and lifts things, so using muscle tension is involved, that doesn't play any part of using chi power and should be avoided at all cost. The none use of muscle power is the successful way of using chi power to your advantage. This is one of the correct methods of using "soft to overcome the hard"

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked the use of the terms "chi" or "chi power," as it often tends most to think of some mystical power the helps make a weak person strong or something like that. I think that if good structure and good technique are taught, then one gains efficiency in moving and striking, and everything falls into place. I think that makes more sense and is loads easier to grasp than bringing an internal concept like chi into it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just me, but all of the chi power and the like seem to me too hocus pocus, and I don't like trusting things like this. Adrenaline and things like that, I can trust in things like this!!

It's up to the individual; to each their own!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the opinions so far are totally valid. Tai Chi involves chi power; of course. Tai chi is one of the most popular martial art style's in the world. My Tai Chi teacher had 40 years experience. He was also an engineer. I believe he new a thing or two about how things work. He was very humble about his Tai Chi. He said that after 40 years practicing martial arts that he must know something. The best advice he gave me was about "The Too Late Syndrome" words to meditate by!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, exactly, do you define "chi power" as? Something that can only be honed by meditation? I do not know what pandiculation is, either.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using chi power in martial arts, an example. Focused power. Ki in Japanese ma styles. Practicing revers puches on a makawari board is also focusing your chi power. Focusing energy where the mind goes the chi goes with it also. To practice chi power can also be expressed slowly and gently. Or hard and fast. Or a combination of the two. Chi power can be used in an instant without hesitation or telegraphing your intent. Pandiculation is considered to be a body yawn. Cats and dogs do a little stretch every 3 or 4 hours. Muscles contract while inactive and pandiculation stretching resets their length. Suppose you are going to jump over a wall. To pandiculate before the jump awakens the muscles you need to be successful. Otherwise you will most likely fall flat on your face. People, in this example martial artists pandiculate their shoulders before punching. They telegraph their intent. Using chi power without telegraphing intent is the trick here. Instant power without giving away any prior or pre warm up movements. Using chi power or having instant punching or kicking power will make your techniques super fast. The danger of using chi power when punching can cause whiplash to the neck. Also when kicking can cause a pulled groin muscle. With practice and knowing oneself these issues can be overcome. With practice a person can pandiculate without moving a muscle. An adrenaline dump in to the system is how this is accomplished. Bruce Lee was doing this 100's of times in all of his movies.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching YouTube and chi power demonstrations clouds the benefits of this concept. Keep your bull%#*t dectector in good working order 100% of the time. If you dismiss chi power altogether, then you will be missing out on one of the most wondrous qualities that martial arts has to offer. You could be a martial artist all your life and the power of chi could allude you. Straining your brain to understand chi is a hopeless. The knowledge of chi power is usually transferred from teacher to student and not from a book or YouTube. All I am trying to covey to you is that from one martial to another, is that chi power exists and by knowing and harnessing it you will be a force to be reckoned with. All successful martial artists use chi power knowingly and some not, we like to call them "Naturally gifted"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: