Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ajb
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Choices on new MA. Reply with quote

Hi,

My friend is starting a new martial art along side his Tai Chi, its a mix of jujitsu and kobodu. I did kick-boxing for a few years and want to start a new MA again.

I am unsure of which one is best for me, I have a judo club close to me, Karate and Taekwondo. I have been told that the Karate is boring due to kata and TKD isn't practical by a few people.

I'm basically looking for a few ideas on not the best martial art as obviously x isnt better than y but more of an idea on practicality of different ones, details, general info etc.

Thanks

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is always just about the same. Go to each club and check out the classes. There is so much individual variation in how each i n run, even within a system, it's hard to give good advice. Espcially not know what you're goals are.

So, decide what you're wanting out of your experiance. Self-defense, competition, tradition, and keep that in mind when checking them out. Then go around a watch a few classes. Get to know the instructors and the guys and gals who train there. See if it will fulfill you training parameters and see if you'll fit in well to the group dynamic.

Once you fulfill both, you're probibly in a good spot. Good luck.

And welcome to KF.

white owl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not go by what you were told I would go and watch for your self and maybe take a few free lesson if they offer. Because what you stated above what was not good for one might be good for you. So you never know, go and watch and write down some question you might want to ask the instructor.
I personally love kata's and if you study the bunkai of kata's they are not boring at all.
Good luck!

ajb
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, this mixed class I was going to go to contains JuJitsu but Im not sure which one. I've seen some topics on BJJ and JJJ also, BJJ is alot of groundwork right? Which is why I wanted to broaden it to judo for takedowns and standing stances.

My kick boxing was alot of padwork and not a whole lot of sparring which is what I want to do, which is why Karate kata's put me off.

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Sensei of Brasshand Style, but practicioner of many

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajb wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, this mixed class I was going to go to contains JuJitsu but Im not sure which one. I've seen some topics on BJJ and JJJ also, BJJ is alot of groundwork right? Which is why I wanted to broaden it to judo for takedowns and standing stances.

My kick boxing was alot of padwork and not a whole lot of sparring which is what I want to do, which is why Karate kata's put me off.

Karate's Kata if done dynamically with strengthen your punching/kicking power...also in some styles of Kickboxing , such as Muay Thai they have a form of Kata and so does Sanda (Chinese Grappling/boxing)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with tallgeese, in that you should go visit each, and watch the classes. Talk to the instructors, tell them you goals, and ask them how they can help you achieve them.

Some Karate styles will spar a lot, and some may not. TKD styles may spar alot, but some won't. It just depends on the instructor. Good luck in your search.

ajb
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies, I'll go to my local judo club as they let you watch, so do the other ones at a leisure centre near me when I get the next opportunity.

My friend today showed me some arm locks he learnt from jujitsu and lets say they were pretty uncomfortable even though even though he didn't apply it fully, I know JJ incorporates alot of these locks and submissions.

But I'm not sure if this is the sort of art I want to learn, I want to study one which has plenty of work on standing rather than ground work, grappling interests me which is why i'm checking judo classes. I'm researching about them anyway.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Karate school that teaches Tuite, or a TKD school with a Hapkido supplement, or just Hapkido in general, spend a lot of time on standing joint manipulation. JJJ does as well, although they might spend more time on the ground, as well. Or, if you're just looking for striking, any of the stand-up styles should be good for you.

ajb
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah striking is what im looking for but grappling as well, so I'll just have to go see.

CanFightIt
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one martial art that works the best for me is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I also love Judo.

As any good martial artist knows, there is no best martial art. It all depends on the individual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: