Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Cable Dog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shudokan, Hayashi-ha Shito-ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Choosing a style, help? Reply with quote

I've studied two types of Karate, which as I know it, is a defensive martial art. Both Shudokan, and Hayashi-ha Shito-ryu were helpful in many ways, but I am looking for something else.
I need help in choosing a more offensive martial art. Most of my "fights" are kumite with friends. But as the principle of Karate is that there is no "first hit" in Karate, it makes that difficult.
I favor the Cat Stance and Snake Style/Stance with an evasive/wait-for-an-opening game.

So my question is; Considering my background and favored styles, what martial art should I choose to study under to gain a more offensive tactic to my sparring/fighting?

~Namaste~

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched Karate Kid II last night, so I just have to throw this in here.

Miyagi Rules of Karate:
Rule Number One: "Karate for defense only."
Rule Number Two: "First learn Rule Number One."

I would suggest something the centers around sport fighting like boxing or MMA. And if those don't suit you, there's nothing wrong with mixing styles. Cross train in something like that to improve your offensive game and still train in the style you love for once your opponent start throwing strikes.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iainabernethy.com/articles/Mark_Tankosich_1.asp

In short, keep up with your karate training.

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say just based on what you just said... I'd say MMA too, maybe kickboxing/thaiboxing, BJJ...
Or check what styles the schools near at you have. They might teach styles that you haven't even thought about..
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Sokusen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Uechi-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miyagi Rules of Karate:

I love these rules! That being said just because Karate is for defense only dosen't mean you have to wait for someone to try and hit you. Somebody being threating and invading my personal space will easily be considered an aggresor and initiate the correct response to defend myself. Cable Dog, don't take things so literaly no matter what form of Karate you study you will always have to make it work for you.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sokusen wrote:

Miyagi Rules of Karate:

I love these rules! That being said . . . [s]omebody being threating and invading my personal space will easily be considered an aggresor and initiate the correct response to defend myself.

They're excellent rules, and may be interpreted--just as "no first strike"--that you are practicing self-defense, not bullying others and starting fights to feed your ego.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
Sokusen wrote:

Miyagi Rules of Karate:

I love these rules! That being said . . . [s]omebody being threating and invading my personal space will easily be considered an aggresor and initiate the correct response to defend myself.

They're excellent rules, and may be interpreted--just as "no first strike"--that you are practicing self-defense, not bullying others and starting fights to feed your ego.

The main reason I don't adhere to or repeat these rules very much is because they are often taken too literally, and people start wondering why things don't work for them. I just prefer layman's terms.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
joesteph wrote:
Sokusen wrote:

Miyagi Rules of Karate:

The main reason I don't adhere to or repeat these rules very much is because they are often taken too literally, and people start wondering why things don't work for them. I just prefer layman's terms.

I agree, most people take 'theres no first strike in karate' to mean that you not allowed to hit first. I usually think if your on the offense and hitting them its much better than standing there and trying to block. You can only block so much against many many hits, one will hit. Usually I can defend about twice beofore I get hit. When im blitzing the other guy he has the same problem. Be aware, hit the person when they are aggressive enough to warrant it and then keep hitting them until they drop or give up.

Im not advising people start fights but people that do have a big advantage. For instance getting hit from behind with a bottle or a punch usually starts and wins the fight in one shot.

I agree with either boxing or MMA or Muai Thai. Or being a bit biased JKD.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sokusen wrote:

Miyagi Rules of Karate:

I concur!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: