Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ckcko2004
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: JKD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to am into switching sides to disrupt an opponent. It usually takes people off guard when I switch to a strong side forward, I am also right handed. It makes a quick jab to the head much easier and if you know how to throw a great right hook you can send people to the ground faster.

kle1n
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a southpaw. But my stance depends with what side my enemy prefeers to attack.

Rotten Head Fok
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choy-Li-Fut, Tai Chi Chuan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to lead with my strong side, being right-handed at that. I have always done things opposite of what IS supose to be. I shoot left-handed too. I also try to train my left side to build it up, but I am lazy about it because of a strong right-side. I don't know why I lead with the right side other than it feels more comfortable and I guess I feel my right side can take care of business. Good post Kirves!
You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Rotten. I'm also right handed but prefer to lead right-foot forwards. However, we train in both equally well in my karate dojo, so I've got used to leading with the left now.

I suppose that I prefer to lead with the right because then my stronger right hand is closer to the target. Either that, or it's just 'cos I've always been a bit 'awkward' and gotta do things differently from the norm! lol

Although I'm right handed I play pool left handed and generally use scissors left handed. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

Sheffield Steelers!

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the topic, along time ago it was pointed out to me that when i did any power combat i fought naturally. But when i did point sparring tournaments I switched to southpaw style.

After thinking about it alot more I realized that the reason i switched to southpaw in tournaments is because so many schools tought how to fight against a closed stance so often( against another natural fighter) that they were confused when i turned my side and fought them as a southpaw.

Whenever anyone started catching on i would switch to natural and the confusion was usually enough to get the extra points in where i needed them.

I have tried a few times in kickbxoign matches to change southpaw in a middle of a fight to see how the confusion factor set in..
To be honest it didnt make much of a difference. The only reasoning i could come up with myself was that in point sparring too many competitiors are thinking of a target to hit, and when that target is presented to them at a different angle then they are used to hitting they have problems adjusting.

In the more harder combat styles i think that instead of specific targets they are looking at zones to strike and the angles are already there depending on what the zones you are wanting to hit are available.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting analysis Lucky, and it seems to ring true to some of my own observations. Will think on this further, thanks.

Intro

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice article

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi

gcav
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Several different Japanese and Korean styles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like my weak side in front because of the extra power you get from the extra momentum and a kick from the back leg is stronger than a kick from the the front. (not saying i wont switch sides to confuse people)

mindsedgeblade
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TSD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can use either side forward when sparring, although some kicks are smoother off one side than the other. I also snowboard. Being right-handed, I usually ride normal, but can also ride goofy. With the bo, I can do either side forward, but in baseball, archery, and shooting I definitely prefer left forward. I guess it's all about what comes naturally, and what an individual finds to be effective.

My school trains to use either side forward, open hand or knife, and we spar from open and closed stances. It seems strange to me that anyone would want to limit themselves to one side or the other forward all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: