Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Christian artist Reply with quote

i would like to start this topic for everyone on here are christians we can talk about how it effects are arts or anything

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a very strong, practicing Christian and it has, in fact influenced pretty much everything in my life especially the martial arts. Do you see that code of ethics in my signature? That was based on Christian moral values I learned while growing up and and am still learning today. That code is also the base I practice for my martial arts. Especially the preservation of human life part. One of the ten commandments is "Thou shall not kill." So I follow that, and even further, don't even practice techniques that could cause permanent damage to an opponent.
I could go on all day with this stuff too

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed thank you for writing on this topic

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Any time. What do you think about your own topic?

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB of C wrote:
One of the ten commandments is "Thou shall not kill." So I follow that, and even further, don't even practice techniques that could cause permanent damage to an opponent.

Wow, so you don't practice anything but tying your belt? After all, even a good block could break an arm, and that would cause permanent damage.

However, maybe I am over-reacting, just what techniques don't you practice?

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudDragon wrote:
The BB of C wrote:
One of the ten commandments is "Thou shall not kill." So I follow that, and even further, don't even practice techniques that could cause permanent damage to an opponent.

Wow, so you don't practice anything but tying your belt? After all, even a good block could break an arm, and that would cause permanent damage.

no there are many techniques if practiced correctly cannot harm somone just injury and just in a conflict i am not going to kill anyone lol

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmljpp wrote:
CloudDragon wrote:
The BB of C wrote:

no there are many techniques if practiced correctly cannot harm somone just injury and just in a conflict i am not going to kill anyone lol

Even if it was the only way to stop your opponent? I think none of us wants to kill another person but you can't afford to pull your techniques to avoid seriously injuring someone because you will end up losing wither that be your valuables or your own life. Similarly if I was presented with an opportunity to attack someone with a technique that could be potentially fatal I wouldn't hesistate, its my life or there's and unfortunately your attacker is unlikely to have those kind of morals.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually 'Thou shall not kill' is a mistranslation, although it is understandable how it came about. That particular term started with the king James bible as the first major edition to appear in (granted, dated) English. However the actual term translated from original Hebrew is 'You shall not murder'. Granted both actions involve killing, however the difference is intent and purpose/justification. For instance, lets say I don't like someone so I shoot him. Is such an action justified? On the other hand, what if someone is on a shooting rampage and I can stop them with a gun before they kill someone else. Both cases involve the action of killing, however the reasons for doing so make the difference if it was justified or not. You could say the same thing for driving. What if one day I go 100 MPH through the neighborhood to buy drugs, while the next I drive my grandmother to the hospital? I drove in both cases, however in one my driving was 'bad' and the other my driving was 'good'. What's the difference between manslaughter and murder? An act of self defense and picking fights? So it is the same for that particular commandment. That isn't to say that it is bad to want to avoid hurting someone- I'd say that is a very good thing. And lets face it- are most of the killings done in the world not done for good reasons?

~Theodore Roosevelt

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice explanation, NightOwl.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good explanation, NightOwl. It's true. It is a mistranslation. The text should read Thou Shalt Not Murder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: