Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Are you a Christian Martial Artist ??
Yes, I can do ALL things thru Christ Jesus who strengthens me !!
55%
 55%  [ 48 ]
No, but Martial Arts still rock !!
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 86

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I have been in quite a few different MAs, and none have had bowing in any context other than respect to the instructor/master instructor.
"There is no spoon."

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I have been in quite a few different MAs, and none have had bowing in any context other than respect to the instructor/master instructor.
"There is no spoon."

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bow to each other both before and after class, out of respect for each other. We are thanking each other for the lessons. You can learn something from anyone. I like a level of respect in class.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but there are always those who can't see beyond their little world where bowing=worship.

anyway, we don't bow.
we have the little 'ming' hand symbol that we do.
it's a mark of respect for those in the past who gave their lives for freedom (also known as the first triads in china... )

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

KWN
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you all misunderstood what I meant. When one bows to a photograph I'm sure you are not actually "worshiping" it, but it is a little extreme from my pont of veiw. I think you should FEEL respect for the person instead of trying to show it when they arn't there. But hey, I shouldn't sweat the little things, right?

pvwingchun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWN

Shouldn't people be allowed to defend themselves? Or shouldn't they be allowed to explore something from another culture that may be of interest to them?

People who have problems with Martial Artists because they see it as non -Christian are really doing themselves an injustice and have a closed minded view of it. There are other things that the MA's are good for. What about doing it for the sake of your health? Tai Chi is a fantastic form of exercise as are most of the MA's why not do it for that reason?

I really do not understand this whole phenomenon. I know several people who consider themselves devout Christians and have no problem training, but then I do know a few who have a problem with some of the things we do. Generally the latter are the ones who want to change the way we do things to fit their view of reality (Christianity). Bowing is one of those things. It is just that, a bow, a show of respect to the instructors and the masters who came before you and traveled along the same path on the journey.

MAD
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should be able to defend themselves but KWN never said anything about that.

Do you even know what the martial in MA stands for? It means "war like" or "milatary".

Plus, I would have no problem with the MA if it didn't have the New Age point of veiw.

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I just don't get the "New Age point of view" angle on Martial Arts. I guess I'm just missing it in class. Does anyone here get into the New Age stuff in class?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it is still a cultural thing.
when you meet someone (in a formal capacity) in japan, you bow.
it is custom.
it is like the shaking of hands.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

pvwingchun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of New Age anything Martial Arts around here nor have I heard of putting New Age philosophies into Martial Arts ever at least in the more Traditonal Arts. Maybe some out there are taking the more modern versions of the arts and adding those philosophies. I think what some mistake as New Age philosophies are actually Martial Art philosophies many times.

MAD, I was asking a question about defending one's self, ease up there tiger. And yes I know what Martial Arts mean and what they are but it is so much more than just the words you have used to explain it. You say you would have no problem with a MA if there was no New Age component, so would you be against going out and trying a traditional art to learn more about it?

People who don't understand something frequently fear it or worse yet they inject things into it to fit there view of what they believe it is to demonize it.

Do people ask these questions of boxing it is a Martial Art????????? If not why not???????
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: