Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Are you a Christian Martial Artist ??
Yes, I can do ALL things thru Christ Jesus who strengthens me !!
55%
 55%  [ 48 ]
No, but Martial Arts still rock !!
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 86

MichiganTKD
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwan Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect the teachings of Christians (usually), but Jesus as a religious figure means nothing to me. To me, the Pope is just the guy in the funny white hat who is out of touch with reality. And don't me started on the Catholic Church sex scandals
I don't have a problem with Christians practicing martial arts. But Christians who use martial arts to promote their religion, to me, are beneath contempt. Keep the two of them separate.

TSDforChrist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: 4th Dan Tang Soo Do, 1st Dan Hapkido, Okinawan Shuri-Ryu, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several comments:
1. "judge not lest you are judged..." in context applies only to the Christian, and is simply stating that you had better hold up to the standard you hold everyone else to, rather than pointing out their faults and overlooking their own
2. "turn the other cheek" is in response to insult, not physical attack. The idea of being disallowed self-defense is thoroughly unbliblical
3. God is not fickle, He was the same in the Old Testament as He was in the New, as He is now. If you need that expouned upon, feel free to email me.
4. Bowing as a sign of respect in MAs is also not unbiblical - the idea of "bowing before no one but God" is in the context of worship
5. MAs, as long as not mixed with any other religion, are completely compatible with Christianity
and finally,
6. For those who are Christians, and who wish to instill moral virtues, discipline (which is just as important spiritually), and reach out through a method to reach people, MAs are an excellent ministry. A responsible Christian is under obligation to promote, not their "religion", but their relationship with Jesus Christ in everything they do. If I can provide a service such as teaching a MA, as well as sharing the grace and love of Jesus Christ, and further developing the faith of current beleivers, then (when called by God to do so) it is a worthwhile and noble pursuit.

Also, I am a Southern Baptist (Shock! a conservative!), a current theology student, sometimes (though between at present) youth minister, and 4th Dan in Tang Soo Do.

Anyone desiring clarification, or who has further questions about Christianity, the Bible, or what I personally beleive is more than welcome to email me, or I will resopond here

BlackBeltHorseRider
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Here, read these websites... claiming that martial arts are evil, and chi and meditation are forms of worshipping the devil...

http://www.bible-truths.org/tracts/martia~1.htm

http://www.pastornet.net.au/response/articles/a00044.htm

http://www.soundanalarm.com/Newsletters/Martial_Arts/MartialArts_Page.htm

I'm a christian and I agree with the poster who said they don't allow Karate and Faith to cross paths. I go to church, my Youth Group on Wednesdays, and then I have Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Sat Karate practices. I have bible studies with my friends and I exercise and practice Karate moves.

My sensei is big on breathing techniques, so we have 15 min in the beginning of our private session where he and I practice breathing control methods. So very close to meditation.

Those are the opinions of the webmaster.

I have no problem being a Christian Martial Artist. I'm proud of it actually. But I'd never let to two mix.

seersin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't let MAs butt heads with my Christianity,So long as I put Christ first...I don't see tha problem.

krzychicano
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: KSW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a christian but I say the more the better. Let the world take MA!

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Christians will preach about love - but will trun right around and attack others sin with hatered... and this is not how it should be..."

If a person tries to judge you show them this

John 16:8 When he comes [The Holy Spirit], he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:

Then ask:

Has the The Holy Spirit gone on holiday and appointed you a stand in?

Christ said "Judge not" , the Apostles Paul and James said "Judge not". Do they not get the point?

James 4:11 Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. 4:12 There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you--who are you to judge your neighbor?

Mathew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Romans 14:4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Each Christian is a Priest. (1 Peter 2:5, 1 Peter 2:9 ) A priests work and position before the Lord is very holy. Korah stuck his noise into the affairs of the Levitical Priesthood and Korah and others God killed. That's dangerous territory to play with

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Chado
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-Ryu, Torite-Jutsu, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not a christian.

More of a Taoist I think than anything...I think different things have different names...so what one person calls 'spirit' another might call 'soul' and yet another might just call 'ones center'. It all means the same to me, with martial arts (mainly kata I am referring to at this point) I am able to reduce my stress level and have a better quality of life

Anyway...I guess I covered the bottom line in my first sentence...

Chado

dtstiachi
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Tai Chi, Kotana Karate, Bagua

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a practicing Christian of 18 years who is studying theology at a Seminary training to be a pastor. I am proud to say that everyone at my school knows I am a Christian and hopefully I will be able to see some fruit from there one day. I love the martial arts and I don't have a problem doing my style (Tai Chi). Some in the school view this as a "spiritual" or "religious" experience. I do not. I enjoy the great workout and am grateful that I get to learn a great martial art.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is really long off topic (and a bit old), so I am going to close it. We allow discussions on religion as it relates specifically to the martial arts, not general discussions on religion. Please keep this in mind everyone.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: