Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Are you a Christian Martial Artist ??
Yes, I can do ALL things thru Christ Jesus who strengthens me !!
55%
 55%  [ 48 ]
No, but Martial Arts still rock !!
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 86

Bro_Joey_Gowdy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chi Ki So JKD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Christian Martial Artist ?? Reply with quote

Are any of you Christian Martial Artists ??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Christian, I am a martial artist, but I don't allow nor want these two things to cross paths at this point in training. I go to a Catholic school, I go to my academy, but I don't "hit the heavy bag for Jesus" because I never had religion as one of the motivations for training. In fact, many of the religion teachers in school aren't too fond of the idea of me letting myself get beaten up a few days a week...

And besides, I have a hard time believing "the guy upstairs" really approves of all the time I spend with guys in my guard
Girls kick butt!

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter?

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also Catholic and attend a catholic school and chruch.. I have had a different response from teachers then you 360. Quite a few of my teachers train in the MA and one of them runs a dojo out of my school .. I didn't join karate because of religion but I think my training has got me thinking about many things and iin fact I think it has strenght my beliefs (not just religious ones) and morals ... Now I don't think the big guy has any trouble with martial arts training, as long as we do it for the right reasons I don't know about the other arts but the ultimate goal of karate is perfection of the character of it's participates

I AM CANADIAN

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeaF wrote:
I am also Catholic and attend a catholic school and chruch.. I have had a different response from teachers then you 360. Quite a few of my teachers train in the MA and one of them runs a dojo out of my school .. I didn't join karate because of religion but I think my training has got me thinking about many things and iin fact I think it has strenght my beliefs (not just religious ones) and morals ... Now I don't think the big guy has any trouble with martial arts training, as long as we do it for the right reasons I don't know about the other arts but the ultimate goal of karate is perfection of the character of it's participates
But I do believe with omnifinite and don't think it should really make a difference

I AM CANADIAN

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeaF wrote:
the ultimate goal of karate is perfection of the character of it's participates

That's one of my favorite quotes . I'm at an all girls school LeaF, and to tell you the truth pretty much everyone is appalled whenever I show up with a large bruise on my face, or a splint on my fingers, limping, whimpering, eating aspirin like M&M's, whatever the injury of the day is.... and I tell them one of two things:

1. I got kicked in the head.
2. I was wrestling with this guy.....enough said.

People, adults especially, sisters/nuns even more than that, usually grimace, like "you do kung fu?" ( Bad enough that that isn't one of my arts.....it's good enough to just nod politely and walk away! )

EDIT: Speaking of religion LOOK AT MY POST COUNT!
Girls kick butt!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA is not church but it has a spiritual side to it.

MA is tied to religon IMO. Most tend to think of Buddasim but Christianity has many of the same ideas Buddaism has. Such as love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek. Both are key aspects to each religon and MA. Some scholars even speculate that Buddaism was a forerunner of Christianity. Reguardless what your belief is, their is no doubt when you do something with a high moral postion offered by any religon you will become better at it.

O Yeah though Jesus Christ all things are possible.

shaolinprincess
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a christian, my teacher is a christian, my friend in it with me is a christian, we do not go to the same churches, but believe the same things. I have told myself not to mix them, and I don't. I even wake up to go to karate before church on sundays. I amaze myself, but then I clean up and go on to church. My pastor likes to hear my stories when I come in with a black eye, and my (christian) friends think its funny I fight with guys...alot like 360roundhouse

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, read these websites... claiming that martial arts are evil, and chi and meditation are forms of worshipping the devil...

http://www.bible-truths.org/tracts/martia~1.htm

http://www.pastornet.net.au/response/articles/a00044.htm

http://www.soundanalarm.com/Newsletters/Martial_Arts/MartialArts_Page.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bro_Joey_Gowdy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chi Ki So JKD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited those sites - and must say the person sounds like a Baptist - (cuz i too am a Baptist).

Christians will preach about love - but will trun right around and attack others sin with hatered... and this is not how it should be...

If a person says thier a Christian and does now show any love - then their probably not a Christian.

Martial Arts is (to me) simply a means of self defense and a sport.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1909603
http://JoeyGowdy.starsearchcasting.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: