Add KarateForums.com
VOTING OPEN! KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

amp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo/RyuTe Karate, Aikido

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of thought about all the contradictions in the bible and the firm assertment of absolute fate, I've come to the temporary conclusion that if there really is a God, the Bible is not real to the point where it stands as an absolute test of faith. If you believe all that stuff without question, that is serious faith.

It's hard to come to any other absolute conclusion about the bible. Between the contradictions, balance issues of good and evil, and Post Hoc fallacies that can make any real argument into one for God, trying to reason through the bible is pointless. I'd rather have my genitals smashed over and over again by 100 angry kickboxers and then have them set on fire than try to sort out that bloody book.

Blue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amp wrote:
After a lot of thought about all the contradictions in the bible and the firm assertment of absolute fate, I've come to the temporary conclusion that if there really is a God, the Bible is not real to the point where it stands as an absolute test of faith. If you believe all that stuff without question, that is serious faith.

It's hard to come to any other absolute conclusion about the bible. Between the contradictions, balance issues of good and evil, and Post Hoc fallacies that can make any real argument into one for God, trying to reason through the bible is pointless. I'd rather have my genitals smashed over and over again by 100 angry kickboxers and then have them set on fire than try to sort out that bloody book.

There's a point i think that audience relevance comes into question. I believe a lot of people dont consider that the Bible wasn't written to us - The book is 2000 years old and the account of Exodus was perhaps 1600 years before that, The Bible was written to the people of that time. Can we take things from that and apply it to our lives ? Of course. God is the same yesterday, today and forever. I used to think that believing parts of it and not other parts was ok, for me, you either have to believe it all or nothing.

The 100 kickboxer thing doesn't sound like much fun, the fire sounds even worse

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amp! man you don't like your balls too much do you? I agree with blue here. Alot of people pick out the peices of the Bible that are inconvenient or uncomfortable for them to believe.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the same yesterday, today and forever.
So maybe the Muslim extremists are right and God is ordering a mass genocide agains the Christian west. That is well in line with the OT God who said things like "kill every man, child, and woman who has born a child. Split the women who have never born a child among the priests and soldiers".

I mean, the OT is clear. Kill children who curse their parents. Kill unruly children. Kill anyone who tries to entice you into another religion. Kill anyone who works on Saturday. Kill any bride who's verginity is challenged and who cannot produce the bloody sheet. Force unmarried women to marry their rapists. Cut off the hand of a woman who touches a man's genetalia in a fight.

This sounds like the rules uder the Taliban.

BizMarkie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God is dead...

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God is dead is a redundancy be cause if he could die he wouldn't be God. That was also in the old testiment, under the old covenent, which is a set of rules that changed in the new testiment.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.... the Old Testament Law had one purpose.... to show the world what sin was and to show how futile a thing it is for humankind to try and be perfect and Holy. No person could keep the Law 100% because everyone is born with a sinful nature, thanks to Adam and Eve. Sin is disobediance to God. God killed all those people back then because in His purity He can't stand to have sin around Himself. Jump a couple thousand years into the future, our past. Jesus Christ comes on the scene, fulfilling prophetic scriptures about Himself in the process of his first 30 years, and because He is the God Man, or God in the flesh, He has no sinful nature. God nails His Son to a cross to atone for the sins of humankind. See the Jewish people sacrificed lambs without defect as atonement or covering up of their sins against God. Christ was and is the ultimate perfect Lamb of God, sacrificed for OUR sins so that we can do what God created humans for in the first place. Fellowship with Him. WHEW!!

I don't think I could climb off my soap box if I tried.... think I'll lie down for awhile.

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing Man ever did towards God was to write a book of fairy tales called the Bible.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay.... the Old Testament Law had one purpose.... to show the world what sin was and to show how futile a thing it is for humankind to try and be perfect and Holy
A lot of people died for that lesson... things that required you be stoned to death:

Working on Saturday.
Breaking your Hymen before your wedding night. (women only)
Being an unruly child.
Cursing your parents (regardless of age).
Premarital sex (for women only).
Suggesting any non-Jewesh religion to any Jew.
Fortune telling.
A curse with the word "god" in it.
Being a non-Jewesh tribe in Isreal (except for virgin women).

The list of great laws goes on.

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't take things out of context.

Now are you telling me that we as human beings have the right to tell the Creator of the universe what His rules or law should be? One person tried that already and was cast out of heaven and eternally damned. People try it everyday and will get their due recompense. Why, you may be asking, because He is God. Do you let people who you are in charge of, whether it be your job or children, or whatever, disobey your will with impunity? If you are the one in command, your word is law. What if I went into the dojang and told Sa Bum Nim that I didn't have to listen to him because I didn't think he was right or I didn't agree with him or her. What would happen? I would either be forgiven or not. Christ came so that we could be forgiven for breaking the rules. Sa Bum Nim's word is law in the dojang. God's Word is law in the universe.

As far as all the punishments you cited, that was the old testament law, I as a Christian, am not bound by that law. I have been set free through the blood of Jesus Christ. Because of His sacrifice, not mine.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: