Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium wrote:
Christians do say turn the other cheek, however they should not be push overs.
Some Christians believe that martial arts is toying with the Devil, however this is nonesense.
With that being said, karate is a way of life and not a sport.
I'm not sure how God would feel about that.
Remember that, for Christians, God is in everything that we do. Also, the bible doesn't necessarily shy away from war. There is a verse in Psalms that reads "He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze." So while Christianity preaches peace and love, it doesn't preach indifference towards violence and standing by when we could defend ourselves/save a life. Finally, the turn the cheek passage is about defiance, it wasn't to show submission.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I alluded to on an earlier reply, Christians promote peace up to the point where your own life is threatened. In addition to loving our neighbor, we are stewards of our own bodies. When it's between two individuals' right to life, the innocent, just one's right trumps the unjust aggressor's right.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:
As I alluded to on an earlier reply, Christians promote peace up to the point where your own life is threatened. In addition to loving our neighbor, we are stewards of our own bodies. When it's between two individuals' right to life, the innocent, just one's right trumps the unjust aggressor's right.

Yes, I believe you're correct.
Love thy neighbour - a fundamental lesson in Christianity.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Read Judges 5:23-27

It'll give your a little perspective on this matter.

Jesus was talking about the insult of being slapped, if he were talking about true violence, he would have told the soldier to turn the other ear.

I think you've a good point here. Slapping is not meant to hurt but to mortify (btw actually no martial art teaches to slap because slapping is an inefficient way to hurt). So the sentence states not to resist to humiliations, but when you are personally attacked or you see somebody harmless being attacked... this is definitely another story.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Turning the other cheek" is up for interpretation.

My interpretation is, on the contrary "A cheek for a cheek" or an "Eye for an Eye" would be talking about taking revenge.

Problem with this, is that with this methodology, society as we know it, would change to become a vengeful one.

The best form of revenge, is to be successful; this is another way to turn the other cheek, by doing the opposite of doing something right in the situations that doing wrong feels right, but is temporary or short lived satisfaction.

Yet with the being successful approach, it has its satisfaction without harming anyone or anything.

Know it or not, we create our enemies, due to being ignorant or unaware to the many facets of rivalry.

Apologies and saying sorry can end many conflicts, it is for some, a very difficult thing to do.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I have heard "turn the other cheek" interpreted is more of a response to insult rather than an attack. A Roman would not have punched a slave or other considered less than a Roman. They would have slapped them. At least that is what I have read.

A punch would have been the cultural acknowledgement of equality. A back-handed slap with the right hand would land on the right cheek.

As far as defense of self or others, Christ told his disciples to "sell their cloak if they did not have a sword". At that point he was sending them into the world to preach and knew how dangerous traveling was.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: