Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensei wrote:
Recently we had here in Canada a Muslim student create a situation in New Brunswich in an Aikido school. His faith apparently made it neccessary for him NOT to train with a lady at all ever and this new student came into an existing club and forced the club to now be split by gender. They cried Human Rights and forgot that Gender should trump religion as you are born with your gender and religion is your choice.

Then the Muslim gent begain giving out what I would see as somewhat offensive leaflets to the students to suggest that others convert to his religion. the text that was presented in the media was offensive and suggested a man give his wife/Daughter a smack if they were to wear clothing that was colorful or modern!...no it actually said that!

I'm surprised this was allowed to go on, and even more surprised that the dojo was made to split because of it. The head of that dojo really needed to take charge of that situation, but it appears he didn't.

As for the passing of pamphlets, I agree with you as well. There really is no reason for it. There are other times and places for things like that. Not at the MA school.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
kensei wrote:
Recently we had here in Canada a Muslim student create a situation in New Brunswich in an Aikido school. His faith apparently made it neccessary for him NOT to train with a lady at all ever and this new student came into an existing club and forced the club to now be split by gender. They cried Human Rights and forgot that Gender should trump religion as you are born with your gender and religion is your choice.

Then the Muslim gent begain giving out what I would see as somewhat offensive leaflets to the students to suggest that others convert to his religion. the text that was presented in the media was offensive and suggested a man give his wife/Daughter a smack if they were to wear clothing that was colorful or modern!...no it actually said that!

I'm surprised this was allowed to go on, and even more surprised that the dojo was made to split because of it. The head of that dojo really needed to take charge of that situation, but it appears he didn't.

As for the passing of pamphlets, I agree with you as well. There really is no reason for it. There are other times and places for things like that. Not at the MA school.

There are enough politics in the MA to worry about without trying to be politically correct. A MA school isn't big enough for all of that! Dictate and stand by it. Those students who don't or won't or can't; well, find somewhere else to train.

I agree with the pamphlets; not at the MA school!! NEVER!!

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hung gar, Shaolin, Taichi, south sea fist and Raj shank astra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said sir, Martial arts should be used to unite not divide. Today to the chagrine of many a traditional martial artist it is mostly used as an exercise or fitness training modality and there is definitely nothing wrong with that. Its the principle i use in teaching my taichi students.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't view the MAs as a tool that should be used to unite much of anything. When we start talking about these aspects in the Martial Arts, they have more to do with the views and beliefs of the persons who study said style, as opposed to the style itself. Then, such people use their "style" to bring other people into their fold and to propogate their belief system onto others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21
Jump to: