Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Blue!

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article. I think if a Christian has confidence in his or her beliefs, things like bowing shouldn't be an issue. As a few have pointed out, they equate bowing with handshaking. Paying respect is a far cry from worshipping. I think the references to magic and such are more on the thought that some elements of Christianity always attempt to find evil in anything they don't understand or agree with (and Christianity is not alone in that type of conservatism). Not much chance they'll change their conviction. But there is a lot of room under the Christian umbrella for those that are comfortable with it to believe and still study MA. Of course, it's highly unlikely you'll find many on this board whose Christian beliefs prevent them from studying.

newbalance
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kchenault wrote:
Scorcho, not to sound inflammatory, but I would like to see a list of names of Christian leaders who have delved into eastern meditation and mysticism, if you don't mind.

M.L.King Jr. comes to mind. I have read a couple of books by christians who compare the eastern religions to christianity, and most seem pretty positive to a lot of aspects of it. Can't help with any names though.

btroadman
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need to make a simple point. A Christian believes in Jesus and believes that he died on the cross for our sins. If a eastern religion doesn't believe that, then there is no comparison.
Kickboxing

Kev70
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article. Our dojo is based on Christianity as well. We have scripture all over our walls. I think that this is a good thing because MA has gotten a sort of bad vibe over the years. I agree 100% with the article. Meditation is repeated over and over in the Bible as a tool to worship God and to strengthen your spirit and daily walk. A bow is no different than a hand shake. People in Japan bow to each other everyday. Does that mean that they are all going to hell? Seriously, God knows your heart.

newbalance
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, I am guilty of the sin of Envy. Your dojo has scripture all over the walls? That is almost reason enough for me to just move now and join your dojo.

I was worried at first about joining TKD, simply because I was ignorant to eastern religions, philosophies, traditions etc. But, ill have you know, all those fears have been debunked since I have joined. I pledged allegiance to the american flag all through school, christian, mind you, and here I show respect for the korean flag, where my MA originated. Would I choose Korea over Jesus, or anything absurd like that? No, of course not, but that isn't even a possible scenario.
So, point being, I found nothing wrong with TKD, and that is coming from a borderline-funamentalist.

hapkiyoosool
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Hapkido

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Christian martial arts. Reply with quote

I would like to add to this forum that there is nothing wrong with defending yourself. There are 2 kinds of attack. Spiritual and physical. When the spiritual doesn't work for someone, they turn to the physical. A true master of an art is one who can successfully defend themself without causing any permant physical injury to the attacker with the chance to teach them the true way.
For more information on this you may email me at our Korean or American HQ. hapkiyoosool@msn.com
or look here! http://www.hapkiyoosool.com

Humility before Honor...,
Master Jeff Allen
Chief Instructor

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all who have rea this or may read this article, the article was incomplete when submitted. It was for the Survivor Challenge here at the forum. Maybe someday I will write a better more expository version to clarify and expound on issues that lay under the surface statements I made. I was working on a tight, tight schedule last time. Thanks again for all input and taking the time to view the article in it's present state.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the dojo/gwoon/training hall is one of the few places that you will find muslims, christians, jews, buddhists, hindus together and willing to call each other brother.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

WU TANG CLAN
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Hapkido: But have studied Shotokan & Tae Kwon DO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooah! Didn't know there were so many beleivers on site.

I know of one particular MA that teaches it's students to talk to different spiritual entities & to worship them & have them be your spirit guide to teach you the more difficult techniques of the style, also they are into astral projection (leaving the body) Scary stuff! As bad as I wanted to learn it as a kid I had to shy away from it when I learned more about it.
What about this style of karate I saw on a special on the discovery channel that showed these students who made their bodies as hard ad rocks by meditation and they tested by punching & kicking the crap outta each other in the throat & groin areas included.

Last but not least there's a school in L A where the father & son put hooks into their pecs & pull things & all others kinds of ripleys beleive it or not stuff.
What on earth does that have to do with self defense? When attacked can you turn it on to protect your self?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 4 of 21
Jump to: