Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silvas and retirement Reply with quote

Hey guys this just came to me after Chuck Liddell lost his last fight to Shogun. Everyone is talking that Chuck needs to hang the gloves up and walk away from the sport because he has lost four of his last five fights. Two losses by TKO, one KO, and one split decision. Silvia' lost four via knockout and one via unanimous decision. None is talking and asking for Silva's retirement. Is this because two of his losses came in Pride and todays fan is what I consider casual? I will watch most any mma that I can find from the local show to those early ICV bouts that the only had english if a fight used it in his intro. Now well break down each loss of each fighter and you guys tell me what you think.
Liddell's last five:
Quinton Jackson was the begining of Liddell's skid. This fight was pretty back and forth and actually had some good exchanges before Chuck tried to start a combo by leading to the body and Jackson caught him with a well placed hook that knocked him down. Here comes the flash ko and the follow up shot on the ground woke Liddell up. He then began trying to defend himself but he was trying to play catch up by then. He may have recovered and won. But we can discuss what ifs and maybes all day. This was not a bad ko but just a flash he was right back up asking why the fight was stopped hinting the flash ko. He didn't know he was out.
Keith Jardine was the first fighter win or lose in fives years and three months to take Liddell to the final bell. This was a great back and forth fight. All I can say is Chuck needed to show a little more agression and he would have won this one even with the two knock downs Jardine scored. Really this fight could have went either way. But a loss is the chance you take when you let it go to the judges.
Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell finally all the pre main stream questions will be answered. Pride's best takes on UFC's best. This was a three round war. We see a new Iceman with confidence in his striking. He even let a spinning back fist go. Also we get to see a pair of take down from Liddell. But in watching this one as the time ticked away you knew that Liddell was undoubtebly the winner via all judges ruled in his favor.
Rashad Evans. UFC rolls into Hotlanta and anything can happen there. This may have been the same year the tornado came through during some basketball games. But there was a storm brewing alright. Rashad is cocky and undeated. Chuck is confident coming off an impressive win over Silva and tasting a KO in the future. Unlike a normal Iceman fight he is pressing the action. The first round was real exciting but Chuck was winning. The exchanges were calculated trying to see if Evans was leaving anything open or had any tells. Liddell put in a good first round winning on the judges card. Liddell thought he had found the chinc in Rashads armor. As he was struck but so did Evans. It was like thunder. Liddell hit the cavas in a weird positions. I've seen a lot of knockouts from alot of angles live and on tv. This one by far was the worst one I ever seen. As they rolled the Iceman over to remove his mouth piece he looked dead. I mean I thought I just witnessed the death of Chuck Liddell. It took several minutes for Liddell to come around. Rashad has the right to be cocky after a KO like that..
Mauricio Rua has knockedout 83% of his foes. Well Chuck was no diffrent. This had the makes to be a slug fest. Both fighter were willing to stand and bang. They fight was about even with both fighters landing combos and each securing a take down but not able to capitalize on them. While circling during the fourth minute of round one Shogun slides in with a lead left hook catching Liddell on that sweet spot. I think Shogun was on Chuck before he hit the ground. Fireing hammer fists and punches so fast that the Iceman couldn't catch up. Again the ref stops it for saftey of the fighter. Chuck came right to his feet.
I believe Liddell is an intelligent man and know when it's time. This maybe it and it may not. Only Liddell knows.
Now let's take a look at Silva's last five:
Mirko Filipovic is a heavy weight but this means nothing in the numbers. He is a light heavy weight weighing around 220. He had Silva bloodied and in trouble early and often in this fight. Cro Cop picked his shot until he setup the famus head kick. Big KO #1 for Silva.
Dan Henderson is as tough as they come and has a sledge hammer for a right hand. As I remember early in the fight is was evenly back and forth. Then came the right hand that shut the lites off. Big KO #2 for Silva
Enter Iceman see above.
Keith Jardine came out swinging as did Silva. The Dean of Mean met the Axe Murderer head on and went down in a mear 36 seconds of the first round with Silva sitting on him. Mounted and being held down by his throat and getting brutally beat by Silva and again a ref jumps in.
Quinton Jackson should not even stand a chance given their past. Both come out swinging for the fences because this isn't their first dance it's their thrid. Both of their previous fights ended with Rampage face down from knees. This time Jackson came out ready to throw and throw he did knocking out Silva at 3:21 of the first.

Can someone please tell me the diffrence between these two guys. Both have drop 4 of the last five fights they've had. One is changing weight classes and the other is being told to retire. Thought opinions and fact that I may be missing a welcome.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your commentary here, and I think that you make a good point. I think Liddell still has some damage left to do, and I would like to see him continue is career.

I also can't figure out why the difference between the losses of these fighters. Perhaps the masses have come to expect a certain level of success from Liddell, and he has fallen out of favor with the fans. Maybe not. I say let him keep fighting.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another aspect is that the fans in Japan just expect the fighters to show and let it all hang out. And American fans want a win of a hot new fighter only caring about a good record and not an entertaining fight full of technique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: