Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this topic.

Back when I used to train my friends, we’d do a basic warmup with dynamic movements/dynamic stretching. Then I’d get right into kihon. If we weren’t doing basic kihon strikes and blocks/counters on each other, then we were hitting pads. I’d like alternating between the two.

Then it was kata. Preferably, I’d have us go through all our kata together (at least up to experience level), then we’d pick a kata to focus on. Perform it a time or two, then start picking out the pieces. Starting off slow, then seeing if we could work it up to drill the movements (kata/my own experience permitting) back and forth.

Ending with some conditioning, either partner drills (big fan of forearm training) and/or some calisthenics. If we really wanted to train hard, we’d do a combo of something like 5 box jumps, 1 round kick, 5 jumps, 2 round kick, then 3, etc.

Always finished with a good stretch!

We could get this done in 30 minutes if we were pressed for time, or we’d go up to about 90 minutes (probably a little less) if we had the time and wanted to get to work.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Love this topic.

Back when I used to train my friends, we’d do a basic warmup with dynamic movements/dynamic stretching. Then I’d get right into kihon. If we weren’t doing basic kihon strikes and blocks/counters on each other, then we were hitting pads. I’d like alternating between the two.

Then it was kata. Preferably, I’d have us go through all our kata together (at least up to experience level), then we’d pick a kata to focus on. Perform it a time or two, then start picking out the pieces. Starting off slow, then seeing if we could work it up to drill the movements (kata/my own experience permitting) back and forth.

Ending with some conditioning, either partner drills (big fan of forearm training) and/or some calisthenics. If we really wanted to train hard, we’d do a combo of something like 5 box jumps, 1 round kick, 5 jumps, 2 round kick, then 3, etc.

Always finished with a good stretch!

We could get this done in 30 minutes if we were pressed for time, or we’d go up to about 90 minutes (probably a little less) if we had the time and wanted to get to work.

that is similar to how I did and still would run a class. I always started out with stretching / calisthenics and then into kihon, followed by one steps, or bag / shield work. i always ran a beginners class for white through green belt for heavy focus on the basics, advanced class for all above green would be, well, more advanced...lol... with a 5 day a week class schedule i would incorporate every other day to a more strenuous type workout, cardio wise.
the month leading up to testings would be heavier on forms work and other test requirements. i also had a separate sparring class on wednesdays for those who wished to stay longer and participate. though i did keep the sparring class for advanced levels. under green would be taught sparring separatly in the beginners classes. I am now trying to decide if a HIIT type class would be worth trying to incorporate into a future dojo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: