Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: close-combat Japanese Chinese Reply with quote

I asked a question before about the main differences between kung fu and karate and was told I had to be a little more specific, so I'l just ask about the close combat arts.

Whats the differencs between Goju Ryu and Wing Chun. I know they are both close combat arts so thats why I picked them.

I like the way my teacher puts it with close and long range combat 'Shotokan fights in a palace, Goju fights in a telephone box'

Thanks

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Shotokan stands a good chance in close close combat. But I do understand what you say, when I would "play" spar with my friends, who did Bujinkan Taijutsu, I would always get killed. I dont really know about Gojo Ryu. But Wing Chun, is a really sweet system. Wing Chun is no thrills, all action, nothing that could not be applied in real life, however like all traditional systems takes time, like Gojo.

Take Care

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way,
I just contact with an instructor who have done both, Goju ryu karate AND wing chun i may ask him about the diferences between the two.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks submission that would be great.

The problem with shotokan today that doesn't make it a very good martial art is that they now teach technique to the extent where the 'hang' onto the technique. The shoaling monks would call this a sicness. To make the technique you have to make it come a live, practicing basic technique through punching air is noty going to accomplish anything. The reasen why shotokan is not being practiced rightly is that the people teaching it are teaching with limited knowledge, i.e. they read from books. Things like round house kick where you are thought to raise the leg, instead you should lift with the waist. Little things that in time turn into big mistakes, thats whats wrong with karate today.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: