Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kajukenbopr
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo - Emperado Method

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your martial arts depend on heavy kicking, get more comfortable clothes so it doesnt become a handicap for you.

it sounds impossible to forget about retricting clothing when out in the real world, however, small changes could mean a safer life; baggier pants, just enough so u can move,comfortable shoes that wont slip, shirts that are not easy to grasp or get entagled in, etc.

AikiGuy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: . Aikijutsu, . Goshin Jutsu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I preffer to not...but I have to wear a tux to work sometimes....>>

Ok, if you work in a tux, what is your job and where are you when you think a fight may break out? There is probably an alternative answer to fighting but it depends on your environment.

For now, I would just point out that even a tux can be sized for a looser, more comfortable fit. I see labels like this on jeans all the time. You can buy jeans in the normal fit, relaxed fit, boot cut, etc. So why not a tux?

xena
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: question what is the better Gi to get Reply with quote

whats the better type gi to get if you had to get one?

badclams
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Open Hand Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to cut some drain holes in the legs of your BDU's if you wear'em.

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I have seen plenty of loose enough tuxedos around, Thomas Kurz is one example.

But also there is Jet Li and Jackie Chan, I am sure they have done films in various suits.

armanox
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Hapkido, Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow_Warrior wrote:
´´Y are you fighting in a tux??´´

I preffer to not...but I have to wear a tux to work sometimes....And If I am attacked when wearing a tux...then I got to fight in a tux

I used to work in a tux (was a waiter in a catering establishment) and I found that my uniform did not hinder my kicks, punches, etc. For that matter, I am equally comfortable in my tight jeans as I am in my loose gi. Just doesn't seem to be an issue to me.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree what someone said about the role playing thing. That's a good idea. Let's say you work in a nightclub as a bouncer or waiter and you have to dress up every day, you should role play when you're home with friends to see how you'd react in certain situations. I believe if you think about it - you can come up with creative ways to use what you are wearing so that it wouldn't hinder your movement.

Let's say you are wearing a tie or a cumberbund. If you're fast at removing it, who's to say you could not use that to supress an attacker by wrapping it around their neck or eyes?

If you're female and you're wearing high heels, one of those shoes could easily become a stabbing weapon.

Role playing with different outfits would make you think how to react in certain situations. But having your outfits fit a little looser WOULD help.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen all sorts of tricky kind of stuff with using article of clothing and such as weapons. The problem is, you have to take time to access it. Time is something you usually don't have in abundance during confrontation.

The big thing would be to occassionally use a heavy gi top to simulate using a jacket during a grapple. Things like that.

As for fitting of clothes, I like them loose enough to hide whatever weapon I'm carrying. This can be easier to access and more reliable than anything that you ccould fabricate on the spot.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as using clothing as a tool, I might use a jacket to fend off a knife or cover a gun or someone's head, but that's probably about it.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo is great for using clothes in the literal sense. You don't need a gi- gi's are made thick so that they don't break after continual use, but if you are only throwing someone once a t-shirt works just fine. The big part of using clothing is to put someone slightly off balance for setting up a throw (plus I've heard that gi chokes set in faster with thin clothing like a regular shirt).

~Theodore Roosevelt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: