Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightOwl wrote:
(plus I've heard that gi chokes set in faster with thin clothing like a regular shirt).

I wouldn't have guessed this at all. I would think that gi chokes with clothing wouldn't work as well, because of less resiliance of the clothing as compared to a heavy duty gi. Have you seen this demonstrated?

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't have guessed this at all. I would think that gi chokes with clothing wouldn't work as well, because of less resiliance of the clothing as compared to a heavy duty gi. Have you seen this demonstrated?

In no-gi grappling ive experienced it first hand several times, both doing it to someone else and having it done to me. If you get the grip correctly the material doesnt matter so much.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo tech with gi:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=PSMsrFwduAs

With various shirts:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qVszaNa5YY8

*edit* Whoops, double posted the same link. It's now fixed

~Theodore Roosevelt

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting post, as when I first became a police officer this was on my mind. It's a lot different doing techniques in a gi barefoot than wearing a uniform, duty belt, vest, and boots.

Something you can try that I did is save an old pair of what you often wear, then once in a while throw it on and do a home training session wearing them. Hit the bag, spar with a friend, do your kata, etc. I learned which techniques were better to rely on this way and I feel more comfortable wearing it if I'm anticipating a problem.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
This is an interesting post, as when I first became a police officer this was on my mind. It's a lot different doing techniques in a gi barefoot than wearing a uniform, duty belt, vest, and boots.

This ain't no joke! Any kick above the waist goes pretty much out the window (not that I would have tried one, anyway). But even low level kicking motions can be hampered with all that gear hanging off of you.

Rolling is a different matter entirely. Its a lot harder to shrimp and roll half to one side when you have a gun, or a TASER, or cuffs, or a radio blocking your motion.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Which is why I think it's a good idea to practice as such from time to time.

Also, I think it's a good idea for trimming down the duty belt as well. I keep alot of stuff in my car caddy that i can grab and pocket quickly. Let's face it, we're usually running for a while to get where we're going (I work county). That's way more efficient, to my thinking, than packing it all around all the time. My favorite example is carrying spray in my car instead of on me. 1) I hate it 2)any exposure turns me to a junior high cheerleader 3)it's an item i consider unessitial that just takes up room on my belt.

That way I get stuff off that I don't need and am lighter. I try just the essintails. One set of cuffs, spare mags, radio, gun. that's it. It greatly reduces my carry load. In effect, it helps.

It still dosn't solve the problem.

Another thing that helps is if your dept., is progressive enough to let you wear nylon duty gear instead of leather. No, it dosn't look as good. I think form should come second to function. It's lighter and moves better while you're rolling around than does leather.

Start putting these things togehter and you've gone a long way. But you are correct, still a major difference. Still requires some time spent training in the stuff.

Which, brings me to another beef of many depts. Most of the DT training not realted to weapons retention is done in workout clothers and not full uniform. The vest alone changes t hings considerably.

Practice like you play. At least every now and again.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think that practicing in uniform, at least occasionally, is something that should be addressed.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Agreed. Which is why I think it's a good idea to practice as such from time to time.

Also, I think it's a good idea for trimming down the duty belt as well. I keep alot of stuff in my car caddy that i can grab and pocket quickly. Let's face it, we're usually running for a while to get where we're going (I work county). That's way more efficient, to my thinking, than packing it all around all the time. My favorite example is carrying spray in my car instead of on me. 1) I hate it 2)any exposure turns me to a junior high cheerleader 3)it's an item i consider unessitial that just takes up room on my belt.

That way I get stuff off that I don't need and am lighter. I try just the essintails. One set of cuffs, spare mags, radio, gun. that's it. It greatly reduces my carry load. In effect, it helps.

It still dosn't solve the problem.

Another thing that helps is if your dept., is progressive enough to let you wear nylon duty gear instead of leather. No, it dosn't look as good. I think form should come second to function. It's lighter and moves better while you're rolling around than does leather.

Start putting these things togehter and you've gone a long way. But you are correct, still a major difference. Still requires some time spent training in the stuff.

Which, brings me to another beef of many depts. Most of the DT training not realted to weapons retention is done in workout clothers and not full uniform. The vest alone changes t hings considerably.

Practice like you play. At least every now and again.

Covers a lot of points I believe in as well. The biggest downside of my department is there's a lot that's mandatory for duty belts and the only way I can carry my Taser is in a drop-leg which can get in the way from time to time. We also stick with the basketweave leather and everyone needs to buy a different radio holder as soon as you can because in your first scuffle you'll see the thing falls right off all the time. It looks good, but it's a piece of junk.

badclams
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Open Hand Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never wore a tux, but I can tell you about BDU pants,..make sure to cut some drain holes over the leg ties. when I was a kid I was running from a group of kids who beat me up and took my bike, I ran through a ditch full of water when my pant legs filled with water..I got myself beat down again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: