Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painfully watched episodes 1 & 2 for FREE on YouTube, NOT YouTube Red, with episode trailers.

My favorite word...FREE!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I painfully watched episodes 1 & 2 for FREE on YouTube, NOT YouTube Red, with episode trailers.

I watched the entire series, twice, for free. Key word - free.

YouTube Red has a free 30 day trial period. I’ve got a few days to cancel before my account gets billed. There’s really nothing else to make me want to pay for a subscription.

I thought the rest of the episodes were better than the first two.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Painfully? As in not good?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I watched the entire series, twice, for free. Key word - free.

YouTube Red has a free 30 day trial period. I’ve got a few days to cancel before my account gets billed. There’s really nothing else to make me want to pay for a subscription.

I thought the rest of the episodes were better than the first two.

Thanks for the tip, JR; I just might further painfully further endure to watch the remaining episodes, then cancel it...I'll read the fine print before I do the 30 day trial period.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Painfully? As in not good?

Painfully, as in, I don't do good watching ANY MA movie and the like without treating the content as though it's a Testing Cycle, and not a movie...I STILL do that to Enter The Dragon. That's ingrained in me so very much, that I judge the content of said MA movie, and not enjoy the entertainment value that it might have.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For availability by country, here is where you can find and/or purchase the series: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6348058?p=yto_availability&rd=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very confusing. Where is the link in the YouTube app to buy videos? Only the previews and two free episodes show up.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I did as suggested and got the free trial and have watched the series.

I wont spoiler alert this time but I will say the series will continue past what is available to watch at this time. Makes me wonder if I should have waited until the entire series was out. Not sure how many times you can get a free trial?????

I did like the subtle twists through out. I can't go too deep without giving away specifics but over all I think it was in keeping with the original (lessons). I liked it.

For those that have already seen it, I disliked the so called "most advanced kick". Not at all in keeping with Okinawan MA. Okinawa meets Brazil type of thing. But then again there were many inaccuracies in the original and subsequent movies. It is after all a movie (Hollywood).

All in all I enjoyed it and it brought back a bit of nostalgia.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:

I wont spoiler alert this time but I will say the series will continue past what is available to watch at this time. Makes me wonder if I should have waited until the entire series was out. Not sure how many times you can get a free trial?????

I did like the subtle twists through out. I can't go too deep without giving away specifics but over all I think it was in keeping with the original (lessons). I liked it.

For those that have already seen it, I disliked the so called "most advanced kick". Not at all in keeping with Okinawan MA. Okinawa meets Brazil type of thing. But then again there were many inaccuracies in the original and subsequent movies. It is after all a movie (Hollywood).

I fully agree with the “advanced kick.” Pure rubbish, but you’re correct - it’s Hollywood.

And I cringe every single time I see Seiunchin done in the original movies (2 and 3) and this series. Do it right or don’t do it at all. There’s many ways to do that kata, and NONE OF THEM are the way it’s done in the movies and series. And don’t make it even stupider by having it done to “focus” like it was done at times (without spoiling it).

I know I sound like some kata snob saying that, but I’m genuinely not. Do it right or do something else IMO. Making up a kata would’ve been better than the hack job they’ve continually done. Rant over. Unless of course anyone agrees and picks up where I left off

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:

I fully agree with the “advanced kick.” Pure rubbish, but you’re correct - it’s Hollywood.

And I cringe every single time I see Seiunchin done in the original movies (2 and 3) and this series. Do it right or don’t do it at all. There’s many ways to do that kata, and NONE OF THEM are the way it’s done in the movies and series. And don’t make it even stupider by having it done to “focus” like it was done at times (without spoiling it).

I know I sound like some kata snob saying that, but I’m genuinely not. Do it right or do something else IMO. Making up a kata would’ve been better than the hack job they’ve continually done. Rant over. Unless of course anyone agrees and picks up where I left off

My turn.

I can not stand how they some how have some super secret move in movies but the Kata's and Kihon that they are learning have nothing to do with it.

Hollywood takes very liberal steps in most martial arts movies. I am the worse critic and some times ruin the movie for my friends because I'm constantly correcting the problems with the movie.

I can envision the director saying, "no. That doesn't look right on camera. Lets do this instead. I know it's not a technique from that art and it's from a completely different continent but no one will notice". Its like they are making up their own art as they go but calling it "x". And I'm with you as far as the Kata goes. Do it right or don't do it at all. Drives me crazy!

In the end it's just a movie. If we were looking for any accuracy whatsoever we would probably not entrust Hollywood to bring it to us.

So you have a fellow critic that has the same issues with movies as you. Welcome to the club of cranky movie goers, friend. End of my rant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: