Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
ashworth wrote:
Pretty simple for me, my students turn up, pay for that class, and train in it. That is the way I prefer it, everyone else seems happy with it as well.

Curiosity question - how do you collect payment? By that I mean everyone hands you, say, a $10 bill every time they walk in, or can they pay in advance? My former Sensei taught a cardio kickboxing class that was strictly pay as you go. He issued cards that were bought for a certain amount. Every class, he hole punched everyone's card. Once there were no classes left on the card, they bought a new card. A dojo I was looking into before I joined my current one did the same thing as a pay as you go option (you could also pay a monthly membership instead).

At the moment they just pay cash when they turn up, although I am thinking about offering the chance to pay in advanced similar to the method your explained.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
ashworth wrote:
Pretty simple for me, my students turn up, pay for that class, and train in it. That is the way I prefer it, everyone else seems happy with it as well.

Curiosity question - how do you collect payment? By that I mean everyone hands you, say, a $10 bill every time they walk in, or can they pay in advance? My former Sensei taught a cardio kickboxing class that was strictly pay as you go. He issued cards that were bought for a certain amount. Every class, he hole punched everyone's card. Once there were no classes left on the card, they bought a new card. A dojo I was looking into before I joined my current one did the same thing as a pay as you go option (you could also pay a monthly membership instead).

At the moment they just pay cash when they turn up, although I am thinking about offering the chance to pay in advanced similar to the method your explained.

I've seen an organization that collected fees per class. They charged $4.00 per lesson, and they paid that whenever they came to class. That organization utilized "parents" to collect fees while sitting at one of the many tables.

Name of the student would then be checked off on a roster to show that that student had indeed been at that particular class. It was either cash or check; those funds would be then placed inside of a large manila envelope for safe keeping.

At the end of the night, the instructor would collect the envelopes, one envelope per class, and they did up to 4 classes, once per week, as well as the roster sheets, stuffing it all in their gym bag.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an online dojo managment sytem that automatically bills and/or collects via EFT or credit card. I do carry a few cash accounts but I prefer online when possible. Students pay monthly based on the day they start-I do not prorate when they enroll.

All my programs are based on mat time. You want more mat time then you pay more tuition. This allows for those who can only train one day a week to only pay for that time rather than feel like they are paying for classes they cant attend. My programs are 1 class/week, 2 classes/week, 3 classes/week, and unlimited classes/week.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
I use an online dojo managment sytem that automatically bills and/or collects via EFT or credit card. I do carry a few cash accounts but I prefer online when possible. Students pay monthly based on the day they start-I do not prorate when they enroll.

All my programs are based on mat time. You want more mat time then you pay more tuition. This allows for those who can only train one day a week to only pay for that time rather than feel like they are paying for classes they cant attend. My programs are 1 class/week, 2 classes/week, 3 classes/week, and unlimited classes/week.

This is how we do it. I think when you get beyond a certain number of students it does pay to have this convenience.

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All our students sign up to a book contract direct debit where fees are automatically withdrawn on the 1st of each month. We do not offer discounts based on lesson quantity, everyone pays the same fee. Everyone must attend at least 2 classes weekly.

We pay our instructors through discounted fees. We have an hourly rate and instructors have that minused from their fees each month. It never goes into the positive (where we give them actual money). We're a non profit. I find this good as people still pay to learn, get paid to teach.

Black belts get a discount on their fees, as they ill in when needed. We also pay for their first aid training and accreditation courses.

I, myself, am not paid.
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:

This way! It's way easier to auto debit online for a small percentage than pester people every month. I also avoid pro-rating. Date of is easiest and keeps a steady cash flow thru each given month. We likewise keep a handful of cash accounts from the old days. Mainly people who pay up front for a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: